Beardie in the classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalin81

I've had my girl for almost 2 weeks. She's 18 months old and starting to eat better again after relocation atress. She's amazing and starting to adjust and seems to enjoy being with us. I was wondering if I could take her to my classroom next year. Bearded dragons are listed as one of the top classroom pets. I teach third grade and most of the students are extremely respectful. The plan would be to take her to and from school each day (somedays of course she would just stay home.) I would get her a second terrarium set up identical to her home one with proper lights. I have access to the building so I'm able to go in throughout the summer so hopefully she would be use to school before students are back. She would likely stay in her terrarium most of the time until after school when my own children would take her out. I don't want to stress her out or hurt her, but I've heard of people taking their beardie everywhere. Bonus, after school she could safely have the run on my entire classroom without my fur babies around! Thoughts on this plan?

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
I think it should be fine. I would bring her there either every other day or a couple days a week in order to reduce stress. I think having an identical terrarium is great because that way she is used to her surroundings despite being in a different building.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds good to me-- as long as the students dont get rough w/ her--- my first dragon came from the high school and she was mistreated by the boys in the classroom --- high school kids --- so my first thought is the kids and how cruel they can be
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I think it's a great idea to expose kids to the joys of reptile ownership & expand their horizons, though precautions are in order.

I suggest securing the viv so that it can't be moved easily or opened without a key, to minimize the risk to the dragon of maltreatment. I'd also recommend only supervised "visits" with the kids and a hide where she can get completely away from people if she needs to. You could maybe put a good sized hand weight or weights in the bottom of the enclosure for her to climb on, with the added bonus of making difficult to move or tip over.

My reasoning for all this is that even well-meaning, well-mannered kids can make mistakes. Then there's the chance of finding one who is neither, either from your class or roaming the halls between classes, thinking it'd be fun to do something awful to her. Beardies are fragile & completely at our mercy, so I'd urge you to take preventative measures "just in case".

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree it would be fine but I'd never leave the dragon unsupervised at all for the reasons stated by the previous posts. Otherwise it could be a win -win situation for everyone involved. Kids would also need to wash hands after holding beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom