Calcium and BSFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikmad39

Hi-
Ok so I just placed an order for some crickets and bfsl. Before it comes I want to get the vitamins down. He is about 2-3 months old. Right now he gets crickets 2x a day. At night I dust them in calcium + D3. Every 4 days I add in the multivitamin. He also has greens in his tank all day. My question is. How will this change once I get the bfsl. If I give him the bfsl once a day and crickets once a day do I still give the calcium + D3 every day and the multi every 4 days??

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I would just continue to dust the crickets. The BSFL have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio, which is why you don’t need to dust them. The others, not so much so you dust them to achieve that. Maybe look into small dubias, silkworms or hornworms just to add in some variety. Variety is key and the more you offer the better. The silkworms also have a chemical in them that aids in calcium absorption, reduces inflammation and also is good for their liver and kidneys. Sometimes they won’t eat all that like my guy, but as long as you get them on a good staple and mix it up here and there you are doing good.

Kyle

nikmad39

Original Poster
Ok thanks. But if I give the bfsl and crickets on the same day, different feedings, will he get too much?

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I don’t think so. I’d be more worried about not getting enough more so than getting too much. You can keep and eye on the unrates when he poos. If he was not absorbing all the calcium properly then it would cause discoloration in the urates (they should be white). Just remember when you dust to do so lightly. I would imagine when your dragon gets big he will lose interest in the BSFL anyway cause they are so small. Either that or he will eat 100s at a time which will not be cost effective. They stopped grabbing my guys attention once he decided they weren’t worth his time. Great when they are small though. This is just my opinion though. If I could get my guy to eat them still I would.

Kyle

nikmad39

Original Poster
Ok thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. I wanted to offer him a variety that’s on the easier side when I have to have people watch/take care of him

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Yeah its tough to ask people to feed crickets and roaches when I am on vacation. My guy isn't a huge taker on them anyway. He will eat a roach or cricket here or there, but he will gorge himself on any kind of worm. Silkworms, Hornworms, butterworms and superworms are what I left for my dragon sitter a couple weeks back when we went on vacation. I pretty much use silkworms as my staple and supplement with the other 3 types in moderation. I also try to give him roaches all the time, but he is a spoiled little brat.

Kyle

nikmad39

Original Poster
LOL! Aren’t they all. I haven’t done any other kind of worm yet. I figured I would try one new thing at a time until I see what he likes and doesn’t like. We have to leave him in May. Not sure who I’m going to be able to have watch him. I’m assuming I can’t leave him alone for 3 days

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Many people do leave them alone, but I would never do that....Just make sure when you are trying out different feeders to not do supers until your dragon is big enough to handle them. Many people recommend 16 inches I believe. The soft body worms are all good, but hornworms and silkworms can get very large, so just don't over do it on the size. Stay away from mealworms and wax worms.

Kyle

nikmad39

Original Poster
Yeah I’m not a fan of worms. Mine is only about 2-3 months old so I’m good without the worms for a while. I just want to offer him a little variety. Do the BFSL get too big?

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
No they don’t get big at all. If your beardy really digs them don’t be surprised if he mows through 50 or more at a time. My guy has no interest in them because they are too small. You can add them to salads though for the larger dragons if they don’t want their greens and sometimes it will trick them into eating them when the see all the little worms in it.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Sometimes if they eat them without chewing them then they might not fully digest. I never had to do that and I would also say that if your temps are right and the basking spot hot enough then they should digest without a problem. They are very soft bodied. I would think digestion issues for those little soft bodied worms may indicate some other issue with husbandry. Every dragon is different though so. I have also heard of people just poking them with a needle, but again I don’t think that should be necessary. Watch the poo and as long as there aren’t undigested worms in it you are good.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
As many as your dragon wants to eat in about a 10-15 minute span, which could be a lot. They are very small and a growing beardy can plow 50-100 no problem. Doesn’t mean yours will and if yours doesn’t no big deal but don’t be surprised if he does. https://symtonbsf.com

Check out that site. It’s a good place to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom