How to tame a beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
So I’ve watched a lot of videos on this and Finley is only 5 months old so I know he is still very skiddish but I’ve had him about a month and I’ve been holding him daily but he still runs away from me when my hand goes near him. He’s never bitten me before but he has opened his mouth at me. I’ve watched some videos and they usually split into two categories, the “take it slow and let them get used to you by putting your hand in the cage and working gradually with them” or the “hold them everyday even if they try to get away from you. They will eventually get used to it and be tame because they know you won’t hurt them” I was just wonder which one works better. What should I do to tame him? He’s not too aftraid of me because he lets me hand feed him sometimes but he runs away from my hand after he takes the food.

TommyDirten

Hi,

I personally think that would depend upon the animal itself, which you should put to the test. As you know, each and every animal is different,but so is his behavior too. That means you should try both methods and see for yourself which one makes the most progress. Personally, the slow technique worked for me. I had the same problem as you: I can put my hand in the cage, but soon as I get too close, he runs off. What did the trick for me was, instead of handfeeding, I fed him using a pincet. By that way, he sees my hand not as food, but as a sort of 'friend'. The problem with handfeeding is, that he might think after a while that your hand is food. I suggest that you try to feed him with a pincet, and start with petting his tail, and as he gets more comfortable, go a little bit up. At least, that's what worked for me. But as I said, every animal is different.

Ps: Don't stress him out. As soon as he backs off again if you try to pet him, close your terrarium, let it rest for a couple of hours and try again. I've been doing that + the pincet feeding and after a solid 5 days, he doesn't run off anymore.

Goodluck with your training :)

Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom