Care tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avectaso

I have a male beardie who in which my last post needed a visit to the vet which said he has some back legs issues. Hes eats well with a varied type of veggies.

What i know he eats more when i hand feed and rarely when i leave it on the floor (Ceramic substrate with paper towels) He likes more on Dandelions, Kale, Green leaf lettuce, sometimes strawberries and red peppers but wont eat it unless sandwiched with the greens.
What do you recommend for me to feed him other types of veggies? I try to give him around 6 AM during the weekdays and another batch at 3 PM when coming back from school.

Insects is another thing. He in some cases will stare at them only if i dump the bowl on the paper towels which grabs his attention but hardly tries to grab. around 1-2 super worms he grabs before giving up. If i leave it in the bowl he sometimes notices it but never goes after it. So what im asking is another way to interest him into insects. I know they need 20% on insects but rarely eats them probably 2-4 every other day

And lastly the handling. Back then when i got him he used to be okay with handling with no skirmish or moving a lot. Now most of the times he tries to move around or squirmish away from handling and breathes heavily. He doesn't puff or have any bad stress but my guess doesn't like being handled or just want to explore. I sometimes do let him be outside but since i had a unexpected incident on the bed ill just have to be more cautious.

So on that should i keep him handling since he probably doesn't like being handled or let him be? I heard that they should be needed handle all day or they will be more aggressive but what about when they don't want to be handled?

Hopefully this isnt too confusing

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is your beardie?? Suggestions for greens --- collard mustard and turnip all good staple -- he used to you hand feeding and wont eat out of the bowl? The leaf lettuce I am not sure what kind of nutritional value hes getting out of that -- I would stick w/ what I mentioned above --- try some grapes apples and blueberries for fruit-- depending on age if hes less than a year he should be eating 80 % bugs and 20 % vegies-- about a year that will flip-- where he is only eating bugs maybe 1-2 times a week -- its hard to give suggestions when I dont know how old he is
Karrie

avectaso

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2rq0zn2k said:
How old is your beardie?? Suggestions for greens --- collard mustard and turnip all good staple -- he used to you hand feeding and wont eat out of the bowl? The leaf lettuce I am not sure what kind of nutritional value hes getting out of that -- I would stick w/ what I mentioned above --- try some grapes apples and blueberries for fruit-- depending on age if hes less than a year he should be eating 80 % bugs and 20 % vegies-- about a year that will flip-- where he is only eating bugs maybe 1-2 times a week -- its hard to give suggestions when I dont know how old he is
Karrie

Not sure how old is he due to neglected owner only know he’s and adult. I might measure him soon if that helps.

Yes he rarely eats from the bowl probably he can’t see it but sometimes leave the food on the paper towel but doesn’t eat when it’s sitting there. He mostly eats handfed

I don’t know how actually old he is so sorry

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you post pics of your tank and lighting-- you dont have a colored bulb in your tank do you?
Karrie

avectaso

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ukwhv0b said:
Can you post pics of your tank and lighting-- you dont have a colored bulb in your tank do you?
Karrie

Sure it’s a homemade tank so here’s the dimensions
1.65 Feet in Height
4 Feet in length
2 Feet width

Hopefully it’s not too small

I don’t use color lights for the basking spot I use a 160W powersun uv

And a reptisun 5.0 with T5 Hood

https://m.imgur.com/a/n5fzQPY

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would recommend you go to a higher UVB -- a 10.0-- I have the 5.0 as well for now-- when I bought the fixture it came w/ the 5.0 but I also bought the Arcadia 10.0 bulb so since I have the 5.0 in the fixture I am using it- it's not as strong as the 10.0-- and how many inches is the 5.0 from your floor- my tank is 4x2x2-- your tank looks beautiful-- I am wondering if my UVB should be lower as I have that 5.0 and it's not as strong as that Arcadia bulb
Karrie

avectaso

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gavydbh said:
I would recommend you go to a higher UVB -- a 10.0-- I have the 5.0 as well for now-- when I bought the fixture it came w/ the 5.0 but I also bought the Arcadia 10.0 bulb so since I have the 5.0 in the fixture I am using it- it's not as strong as the 10.0-- and how many inches is the 5.0 from your floor- my tank is 4x2x2-- your tank looks beautiful-- I am wondering if my UVB should be lower as I have that 5.0 and it's not as strong as that Arcadia bulb
Karrie

Thanks! The vet said i cant have him climb much probably from early MBD

the UVB is 1.5 Feet away from the floor

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They recommend 10-11 inches from basking spot--- can you put it in your tank? I do have mine hanging in tank--- I will post a pic
97951-1410759176.jpg
97951-1918616193.jpg
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would say to do that or maybe get some sort of basking platform that he can crawl up not exactly climb- something soft--- I was trying to think of some ideas but nothing's coming-- some other people on the forum might have some or you can start another post asking-- but definitely a stronger UVB would do him good
Karrie

avectaso

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xkd6txw said:
I would say to do that or maybe get some sort of basking platform that he can crawl up not exactly climb- something soft--- I was trying to think of some ideas but nothing's coming-- some other people on the forum might have some or you can start another post asking-- but definitely a stronger UVB would do him good
Karrie

I have those small hammocks though it was for a gecko size so that wouldnt fit for him.. My local pet shop sells large size but since they cant stick on wood im not sure how i can stick it up. The problem that the basking spot is the middle not on very corner so not sure if that will work. I could try a cat scratcher slope but small..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom