Missing Dragon, trying (and failing) not to panic :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmdonut

I know this isn't the first topic posted here about missing dragons, but I'm just so worried I have to post incase anyone has any more insight.

My dragon vanished yesterday, about 24 hours ago. He was out of his enclosure, but I was trying to keep him in my room because we had cleaners over. I remember him sliding off my bed, and that was the last I saw of him. I've torn my entire room apart (pulled everything out of the closest, from under the bed, etc) and have even searched my roommates rooms and common areas high and low, including under furniture. He has snuck off before, but I've always been able to find him in under 10 minutes. I just can't imagine were he could be that I haven't looked. I even looked through the kitchen cabinets.

There is a possibility that he got out of my room while the cleaners were here, perhaps I left the room and left the door open a crack. They were packing up the their stuff and had our front door open right around the time I realized he was missing (but not yet panicked). So it is possible he went outside, but it's highly unlikely that he would have made it down the enclosed concrete staircase without them hearing or seeing him. Plus, he hates being outside unless he is on me. It couldn't have been more than 10-15 minutes from the time I saw him till I realized he was missing.

I even explored the possibility that he may have crawled into one of the cleaners equipment bags and stowed away with them, but they said they haven't seen him. I even looked in the dumpster to see if he crawled into a garbage bag they tossed out, but nothing.

I wish I had just left him in his enclosure til they left, but he was going crazy glass climbing. :banghead: At least if he'd gone missing after they left, I'd be 100% sure he was in the house. I have no idea where he could have gone. The idea of never seeing him again has sent me into hysterics :cry: . He's my baby and I love him so much. Any tips, tricks, prayers, or well wishes, will be appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, that is a huge source of stress when that happens. I think a large number of people
have been through these types of scenarios. I am sure more will chime in with other ideas, etc.
Is it cold where you are at? Go ahead & put up a bright white basking light somewhere in the
regular areas where he runs around & plays in.
Also, try placing some insects that are his favorite, in a couple of areas to help attract his sight &
attention. You can also get some brown butcher paper or even newspaper & sprinkle some flour
on it so that when they run over it they will leave some type of trail that you could try to follow.
People use it when they lose their snakes in the house.

I hope you find him!
Tracie

mmmdonut

Original Poster
Thank you, Tracy. Every time I feel that sense of panic rise in my throat, I tell myself he'll show up. He has to. :( I've only had him for a year and a half.

I'm in California, and it's been in the 70s during the day but gets down to 40 at night. Will he be okay in that??

I set up a basking light like you suggested, with a Tupperware of superworms (his favorite) next to it. I may try that flour trick although I can't imagine my roommates will be so happy about flour on the carpet...

I've also reported him missing to my local shelter, and put up lost pet announcements on my local Facebook groups and on Nextdoor. Will probably make some fliers tomorrow. I just can't imagine he got out, but I also can't imagine where he'd be that I haven't looked. He's usually so clingy to either me or to a window, so I never even thought of this ever happening.

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
40s would be too cold. They can only tolerate it for a short amount of time. Keep leaving out the superworms, he should come out for those, hopefully. Hope you find him!

mmmdonut

Original Poster
If only I had control over the weather. :( Wherever he is, I hope he found somewhere warm. And that somewhere in that lizard brain he knows how much I love and miss him. I just hope he comes home. My heart is absolutely broken ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Most lizards don't like the sound of vacuum cleaners , so I'd be looking behind walldroves , under anything he could squeezing under , will have hid and went to sleep where he's hiding.

If you have curtains that drape to the floor, check in the folds or on top these .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any luck on finding your buddy?
Have you looked behind book shelves, entertainment centers, etc? They love to curl up around
wires, or underneath of entertainment centers since it is dark & has an open area underneath.
I hope that you find him soon.

Tracie

mmmdonut

Original Poster
Great News! My nugget has returned!

Well, actually he never left :roll: He was in the house the whole time. We ended up finding him in a bookcase. My roommate noticed a book had been pushed off the bottom shelf, but didn't think much of it. On Sunday, she saw another book had fallen and finally decided to investigate and there he was, wedged aallll the way in the back of this giant bookcase snoozing away. I'm 100% sure I check that bookcase, so he might have migrated in there sometime after. Uuuughh, all that stress and he was probably looking me right in the face while I was frantically looking for him :lol: I'm so happy to have him back, even if he's a butthead for making me worry like that.

Thank you all for the advice! I will for sure be keeping an eagle eye on him in the future.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear he turned up! Keep that spot in mind as over time they tend to develop favorite spots that they return to if they are on the loose.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent, book shelves, of course! Well, you can't fault him for trying to learn more, huh?
All jokes aside, I'm so happy that you were able to find him & that he never left you at all.
I know it's such a huge relief to have him back in your sights. :D Did you give him a little
spanking for being so naughty? LOL

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom