Sharp nails

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Sharp nails

Postby AliHat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Hello I’m wondering if there is any way to decrease how sharp my beardies claws are? I love holding him and our play time but I’m always so scratched up after. Thanks!

Alishea
AliHat
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Sharp nails

Postby Gormagon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm

I use rough textured floor tile, it's easy to clean, won't harbor bacteria and, Keeps their Nails Filed in a more natural and, safe way.
You can put a chunk of sandstone in his home, this will serve the purpose "somewhat".
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby AliHat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 am

I read some where that you can use cat nail clippers and trim just the very tip. Is that ok?
AliHat
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 am

I use regular human clippers and it works just fine for trimming the sharp ends of the nail. Emery boards help to file it down a bit too. The trick is getting them to sit still for long enough. Try clipping just a few fingers at a time if they get wiggly and want to run around.
CooperDragon

Postby AliHat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

CooperDragon wrote:I use regular human clippers and it works just fine for trimming the sharp ends of the nail. Emery boards help to file it down a bit too. The trick is getting them to sit still for long enough. Try clipping just a few fingers at a time if they get wiggly and want to run around.

Thank you! I actually attempted to clip his nails but I got scared and didn’t lol. I will try an emery board first!
AliHat
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby krba201076 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 pm

I trim my beardie's nails weekly. I use human nail clippers and just get the very tips. I wrap her in a wash cloth sometimes if she gets too squirmy. Some weeks I don't get every single nail because she is too squirmy but that's okay.
Checkout my new video on saving money on caring for your reptiles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9iVnvnaQM
krba201076
Hatchling Poster

Postby AliHat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 am

krba201076 wrote:I trim my beardie's nails weekly. I use human nail clippers and just get the very tips. I wrap her in a wash cloth sometimes if she gets too squirmy. Some weeks I don't get every single nail because she is too squirmy but that's okay.

Thanks for the tip!
AliHat
Newbie Poster

Postby kmwilson042182 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:13 am

If you clip them make sure you have some stiptic or whatever it is called to stop the bleeding if you accidentally get into the quick. Same as when you clip a dogs or cats. If you cut to short they will bleed
kmwilson042182
Hatchling Poster

Postby vrenee1018 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am

I clip Tampico's with small human clippers. I wait until it's close to her bedtime when she's sleepy. She has no issues then. Haha
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion