Best Time to Allow to Roam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie chroma is maybe 10 1/2 inches, he is finally finishing his first full body shed today. Which explains for my last post on why he hides a lot, thank you to who ever answered me on that. Now my dog and cat do not seem to mind him roaming around outside his tank, but i am extremely nervouse to allow him to roam. He almost fell down our stairs the last time i let him roam and i have not been comfortable letting him out since. Now i have tried to beardie proof my house but when did you start to introduce your dragons to the outside of his/her tank. I have tried to put a harness on him but he just flops down and mean mugs me until i take it off of him. I just worry something might happen to him, i do also have a portable basking light for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I let Hiccup out and follow his lead -- sometimes he gets off of me sometimes he doesnt- he takes a nap- when he is loose on the floor he is never out of my sight- I have 4 cats but for the most part they do nothing- sometimes they walk up to him smell him and turn and walk off--- other cats are different and think they the beardie are a play toy - but even w/ that I am constantly monitoring -- he will run the floor a little while and then he starts to look for his favorite sleeping spot which is on the couch behind one of the couch throw pillows in the corner of the couch - there he will take a nap for as long as I let him which is only for like a hr- then he goes back to his tank - I too have a harness that Hiccup doesnt like but do intend to use it this summer when I take him outside --- that is going to be a challenge since he was only out side once last summer and he was terrified- so we haft to gradually get him used to going out then the harness!
Karrie

Hammie2496

Original Poster
Thank you for this information. Hiccup sounds so adorible, and i get about the harness training. We have been training chroma with his but he just burrows into me until i take it off or he sits still and mean mugs me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
In our case , I have Peppa , George & Mildred who all get individual turns on the floor (if they want them , they often don't want to go down for a roam , rathering to stay on my wife or me (for snuggles) or to simply sit on the lounge next to me.

I regularly let one of the bluetongues and Peppa share the floor time. The BTs are about the same size as Peppa . Never unsupervised.

I'd love to be able take them outside to roam / explore in back yard and front garden but with all the free roaming cats , and the pack of dogs next door (who are often loose) , and the risk of wedgetails and kookabarra's spotting them , it's too risky and dangerous for them out there

The sun comes in the front window next to the front door in the mid to late afternoon , so this is the time they go on the floor , they all like looking through the window which is the same height and length as the front door.

They sometimes encounter wild skinks or water dragons or birds who are on the front porch and basking when they go to the window and this generally gets the BTs and Peppa "excited" , sometimes the wild skinks are inside when they discover them (behind the lounge, under the lounge, ontop the lounge or on the vacant lounge seats , generally the wild skinks are a bit wary or the big BTs or Peppa keep their distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom