Pet Stores and Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowo

The maltreatment of bearded dragons in pet stores makes me really angry. There’s a local pet store in my town that has like the tiniest terrarium I’ve ever seen with at least 5 baby dragons inside at all times. I feel so bad for them because their terrarium is also right next to the dog cages. Honestly that whole pet store is a mess though. They have cats, dogs, snakes, bearded dragons, birds, fish, ferrets, rabbits, and hamsters all together in such a tiny building. The fish are kept in poor conditions as well. Their tanks are filthy and I’ve seen dead fish in the bottom of the tanks at times. The dogs and cats are kept in tiny cages as well but they’re allowed to be taken out of their cages by customers looking to adopt. It’s not just this pet store that doesn’t know how to treat their animals though. Well established companies like Petco and Petsmart who I KNOW have the money to take care of their animals properly still do a poor job. The amount of false information that Petsmart employees have given me about bearded dragons is laughable. I feel like pet stores don’t bother taking care of their more exotic animals because they think less people will call them out than if they mistreated a cat or a dog or something.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yup, we lost a dragon (was my late son's) Naz, due to bad advice from the staff at Petsmart about 3 years ago. That my friend, will never happen again!!!

rowo

Original Poster
Gormagon":vkivsjz1 said:
Yup, we lost a dragon (was my late son's) Naz, due to bad advice from the staff at Petsmart about 3 years ago. That my friend, will never happen again!!!
Oh I’m sorry about that! Corporations like Petsmart are really just the worst sometimes...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As far as I am concerned a store has no business selling something it knows nothing about -- if you cant advise some one on how to take proper care of an animal they have no business selling it!
Karrie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
rowo":3qjz8q6o said:
Honestly that whole pet store is a mess though. They have cats, dogs, snakes, bearded dragons, birds, fish, ferrets, rabbits, and hamsters all together in such a tiny building. The fish are kept in poor conditions as well. Their tanks are filthy and I’ve seen dead fish in the bottom of the tanks at times.

I'm honestly shocked nobody has brought this up to a manager or store owner, or even called ASPCA to inspect the store... I believe it can be requested anonymously.

But you probably have a point about people not doing anything for more exotic animals. Unless someone is familiar with the animal they may not be fully aware of their needs, but you'd still hope someone could recognize that tiny cages are universally bad :(

KarrieRee":3qjz8q6o said:
As far as I am concerned a store has no business selling something it knows nothing about -- if you cant advise some one on how to take proper care of an animal they have no business selling it!
Karrie

This!! Before I was hired at the pet store I work at, they sold reptiles. I saw pictures of the terrariums posted on google reviews, and they had bearded dragons and chameleons of all sizes kept in a 5 or 10 gallon, with no UVB, and infrared lights (no basking lights either) sitting on the side of the terrarium instead of on top of the mesh. As you could imagine, a lot of them got sick (and were delievered sick or unhealthy because our supplier is HORRENDOUS) because nobody bothered to look into or carry out their proper needs. Eventually my boss just started to give the reptiles away for free because so many were ill, and after one girl's chameleon was diagnosed with severe MBD the store was boycotted.
Fast forward 4 years, when my beardie was dumped off by his previous owner, my boss's plan was to keep him in a dirty 6x10 tupperware container on a shelf until someone bought him for $300. ._.
Thank god, we no longer sell reptiles or ANY animals after my manager and I recently convinced our boss. So I guess the moral of the story is that if the right people step up corporate pet stores can be made better.
(Sorry that became a bit ranty :s)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I called Petsmart corporate office and, lodged a complaint about the treatment of their "non-furry pets" and, they didn't do squat to change a thing. They did however have the manager of the store (I was complaining about) call me and, try to convince me that they were doing things right. I told him he was full of it and, not to try and blow smoke up my a** cause, I know better. I don't go there anymore because it is TOOOOOO hard to watch!!!!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Gormagon":35cjx8cm said:
I called Petsmart corporate office and, lodged a complaint about the treatment of their "non-furry pets" and, they didn't do squat to change a thing. They did however have the manager of the store (I was complaining about) call me and, try to convince me that they were doing things right. I told him he was full of it and, not to try and blow smoke up my a** cause, I know better. I don't go there anymore because it is TOOOOOO hard to watch!!!!

Wow, how lovely of them.
Unfortunately corporate stores view animals as a product more than a living organism. The way my manager and I managed to get our boss to stop selling animals was by making him assess the costs he was spending to have them vs how often they were sold. When solely mentioning the condition of the animals he didn't care :/ (The store I work in is also private owned but required to follow corporate guidelines, so that could've made a difference as to why we were able to change his mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom