New owner and have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGeeG

We purchased a juvenile beardy from a reputable pet shop yesterday after doing a few weeks of research. My girlfriend, Steph, has helped raise a beardy before at her youth center she directs, so she has a little experience with them. Anyways, we found a real beautiful leatherback with a great attitude, very alert and excited to feed and explore. We just want to make sure that we get the best setup possible for her.
We got the Exo-Terra juvenile kit with the 125w Solar GLO AIO MVB for lighting, picked up a second dome and 40w CHE for the chillier nights. Basking temps seem decent, reading around 95-110 gradient under the dome with a laser thermometer. The cool side is around 70-72 and am considering running the CHE around the mid point of the terrarium.
Also using a cardboard backing to help with the glass reflections. We've been reading and watching a lot of videos and care guides to ensure the best life possible for our little unnamed beauty. She devours dusted crickets and dubias with excitement.
I'm a little concerned that the humidity is not quite right, the dial gauge that came with the kit reads around 10%, I plan on upgrading the gauge to something with a bit more accuracy and am also wondering if I should get something to increase the humidity a bit in the room. I'm also worried that the MVB isn't putting out enough visible lighting, when I'm around her I try to pull the mesh top back so she can get the full UVB dose from the MVB as well. Any advice on upgrades, replacements, or rearrangements are very welcome.
A final note is, we plan on either investing into a very nice larger terrarium once she gets a bit more size on her or building our own custom enclosure once it starts warming up and then sterilizing the current tank and reusing it for a leopard gecko potentially in the future as we are also very much in love with those little guys too.

EDIT 1: Forgot to mention the substrate is that Exo Terra mat that is basically a natural sandpaper, We plan to switch it to a ceramic tile in the near future. We both like the tile aesthetic better, and even though I shook out all the loose particles, I don't want to chance impaction.

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you picked a nice + healthy looking dragon that's a big juvie so that was a good choice . :) The set up looks very good, there is debate on the amount of uvb put out by the Solar glo. It's a bulb I've used off + on for years but I interchange with a Powersun as well as the Reptisun 10.0 long tubes. I also put my dragons out in the sun part of the time and that really makes up any possible lack of uvb.

A lot of people go with custom enclosures , something like this :

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjPkMqG-__fAhVD1sAKHUTaBmAYABAUGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_2dUG1XGsvtTq81gf5v3hBfjJokiQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwihiMSG-__fAhVM5IMKHdc2ATcQ9aACCDw&adurl=

You can inquire in the enclosure forum here when you're ready to upgrade to see what other owners use. As for the humidity, you can spray the tank daily, many beardies [ like all of mine ] will drink as the water is sprayed lightly on their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom