I need advice on handling my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mook12

Hello everybody,
I’m new to this forum and am looking for help with my 5 to six month bearded dragon Mook. I’m having trouble with taming. I got him in August when he was quite young and friendly. But I didn’t hold him as often as I should of and then I went on holiday for two weeks in October and my aunt looked after him and understandably she didn’t hold him. When I got back I held him a little but I was a bit nervous around him because I felt like he had become a bit wild and now he’s nervous around me and I’m worried about him biting. I don’t want to keep a pet just for looking at and if I can’t hold or iteract with him I’ll him to give him up which I really don’t want to have to do. So it would be great if I could get some advice so I could keep my pet beardie Mook. Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just keep handling Mook every day. If he scratches by trying to get away or bites, wear long sleeves and gloves. Just pick him up gently but firmly, supporting his body so he doesn't flail. Hold him against your chest and he should settle down . Walk around slowly for a bit + do this every day. After about a week do this but sit down in a beardie safe room and let him set on your lap. If he runs off, go after him slowly + pick him back up after a minute or so. This lets him see that you're no threat. After a while he will accept this handling.

Like they said, just keep trying to handle everyday. My beardie has temperamental days and doesn’t like being held as much then other days she’ll throw a fit if she doesn’t get playtime. I would suggest handling around bedtime (an hour or so before lights off) because your dragon is more likely to be tired out and more calm!! Good luck, please don’t give up on your pet!!!

Mook12

Original Poster
Thanks for this advice I’ll handle him every day as I really don’t want to have to rehome him.

Howdebody

How did this work out for you? Have you had success picking yours up daily? I have been having similar problems with my adult dragon. Spike. I adopted him about 1 year ago. I was able to handle him initially, but after several days (if not weeks) of not doing so he will not let me (beard out, aggressive/defensive posture, etc). He's never tried to bite me, but I've never pushed the issue. He seems to tolerate me cleaning the cage without much of a problem - and inadvertently touching him in the process. But when I gently/slowly reach for him . . . no can do. I think I need a "Dragon Whisperer" . . . but this site will have to do in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom