How about daily feeding cost, tips, best deals, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann404

So my little guy can eat a lot.
102705-779751330.jpg
And I think like many when deciding to get a beardie I compared what the pet store said "about 5 crickets a day and greens" to the cost of a good brand dog or cat food. And thought, we can do that. Now of course I have a Beardie that can eat around 50 crickets or roaches at a feeding and want more. Twice a day. I'm constantly running out. I have to get everything online as petsmart never has small crickets.
So this week I ordered 250 Phoenix worms $10. 1000 small dubia roaches $38, and 1000 3/8' crickets for $21 with shipping. I have no luck with the crickets, they get here alive then half will just die. Likely they are too cold. Roaches all live. Anyway, how long would this food last you? And what are you doing to save money? My thoughts on a breeding colony is; by the time its producing feeders, my Breadie will eat far less, and we have no other insect eating pets to feed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Figure out how many roaches he eats a day and go from there--- roaches are a better deal and wayyyyyyyyyy better for him / her---- I feed my Hiccup roaches only I order around 200 at a time and they last a while as he is not eating them every day--- hes been slow w/ his diet I am assuming its the weather- he will eat 1 horn worm 3 butter worms per day and maybe roaches - depends - I offer him his daily salad of greens summer squash apple and sweet potato- he eats that when he feels like it --- you can get roaches on Amazon w/ free shipping ---

Karrie

Ann404

Original Poster
Thanks karrie,
Well the soldier flies came in today. But sadly he wont eat them. He picked out the roaches and left the rest. This is the second time I tried worms. He wants only crickets and roaches it seems. Lol. How old is yours? I'm wondering what age will he eat less. Now I'm setting here with 25 roaches left, and no local crickets to be found. I thought the worms would hold him over. Guess not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup will be a year at the end of this month- he wasn't hot on crickets when I got him at 3 months- so we went to roaches right away- you can get roaches from dubiaroaches.com - they r out of Kansas and quick visit their site only thing is they do charge shipping- I get roaches horn worms and butter worms from them- hiccup does not like super worms- but you can search Amazon for dubias- I have not ordered roaches off Amazon yet- he loves the butter worms and horn worms- hiccup will eat the but the butt I grubs also known as soldier flys or phoenix worms
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will eat the nutri grubs as well-- haven't fed them for awhile- I would just go to roaches- less stink and maintenance- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubias food its cheap and carrots for water or apples and sweet potato
Karrie

Ann404

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2gcnwg5z said:
He will eat the nutri grubs as well-- haven't fed them for awhile- I would just go to roaches- less stink and maintenance- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubias food its cheap and carrots for water or apples and sweet potato
Karrie
I'll checkout dubiaroaches.com. AA feeders on Amazon seems good. I got 400 last week and he ate almost all of them. But they all take awhile to ship. And yes the roaches are way easier to deal with then crickets. Thanks for all your help. Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom