Are male beardies generally more aggressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann404

I'm sure this has been asked, but I cant find a good answer. I'm pretty sure our Beardie is a boy, two obvious bumps. Hes gotten better, but still very aggressive, almost dominant of his space. And wants to get away, if you dont have food. When he sees live food hes all over it, and hes aggressive about being touch if theres food. Really he doesnt like being touched. If you're feeding him, hes totally your friend until the food runs out. Also when we got him, he was the biggest by far, and must have gotten the most food. He eats so much, I cant keep enough crickets and roaches in stock. Is this typical for the males vs females, or doesnt matter?
Dont get me wrong, my son absolutely loves Beardie. And Beardie tolerates him way more.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only towards other dragons, two male dragons are guaranteed to fight and it's likely if the looser can't run away , it'll end up dead.

I've had male bearded dragons who were absolute sweethearts and gentle and never showed any aggression towards us (I even let our little grandson nurse and pet the big boy dragon).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a male dragon and he is not aggressive at all! In fact he is a huge cuddler! He will be a year at the end of this month-

Karrie

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
My boy, Marlow, will also be 1yr old in a couple of days and despite his start in life ( petshop for 9months in small viv - not adopted till nearly 10months old) he is the sweetest, kindest , wouldn’t hurt a fly ( ok maybe he WOULD hurt a FLY - but he’s supposed too!) boy dragon I could have wished for :)

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":avftn5fd said:
I have a male dragon and he is not aggressive at all! In fact he is a huge cuddler! He will be a year at the end of this month-

Karrie

Oooo karrie what date is your boys birthday? Marlow’s is the 22nd :)

Ann404

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I guess that's not it. I'm trying to understand why he seems aggressive compared to others. He does attack his own reflection. So that's a male thing, but not the rest. I think we are doing everything ok, so we will just give him more time. We are working on a better cage with sliding front, so we dont have to tower over him, and can finally set his lights up right. I thought maybe not enough UVB could alter his mood, but when I moved the 'just purchased' zoo med t5 closer, he moved away from his basking spot after 30ish minutes. I'm guessing that means hes getting enough UVB. Thanks again. Ann

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup will be a year around the end of Jan - not sure exactly what date but toward the end- the ***** I got him from told me all kinds of lies --- in fact he sold me according to him a red leather back--- and me not knowing the difference believed him till I took him into the mom and pop store and said he was no where near a red leather back and then showed me what a red leather back looked like----------
97951-4838174088.jpg
anyway I am gonna go w/ the end of Jan --- I will weigh and measure him then to see how big he is
Karrie

Ann404

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3sx6ehxw said:
Hiccup will be a year around the end of Jan - not sure exactly what date but toward the end- the ***** I got him from told me all kinds of lies --- in fact he sold me according to him a red leather back--- and me not knowing the difference believed him till I took him into the mom and pop store and said he was no where near a red leather back and then showed me what a red leather back looked like----------
97951-4838174088.jpg
anyway I am gonna go w/ the end of Jan --- I will weigh and measure him then to see how big he is
Karrie
Hiccup looks totally sweet. I just asked in another post his age, before looking here. Anyway, I got mine from a box store. I got lots of miss information from the 3 visits prior to buying him. The employees continued to say the same things so I really thought for the most part they knew what they were saying. Luckily theres this fourm. I just hope he calms down. I just went to feed him. And I talk to him, then put my hand under him, and as soon as he feels me left up he opens his mouth wide. Tries to get away. And it's only me here, no distractions. So I calmly get him out. And hes breathing heavy. I'm talking to him, show him the platter of worms and roaches. He quickly goes to eating only the roaches. Then wants to get away, and hes still small enough that he could get lost quick. We try twice a day to hold him. And I also will open his cage and just say hi, or try to lightly touch him, but without picking him up. Maybe he will come around. We have a parakeet that acts the same way, takes food from your hand then bites. Lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like he's hand shy- continue to work w/ him - hiccup was same way- it didn't take long before he came around--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom