Issue with microprocessor in Solarmeter Model 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Back in November I noticed my Solarmeter Model 4.2 wasn't reading, replaced battery and found it was constantly reading rather than only reading (drawing current) when the read button was pressed.

I contacted Solarmeter Australia who told me they don't service / repair / calibrate here in Australia and advised me to contact Solarmeter USA (where I bought it) who promptly sent me the appropriate form to have a repair effected / recalibration , and back to them in the registered post it went.
Back just prior to Xmas , they think there was an issue with the microprocessor (though it might have been water damage but found no sign of this) which was replaced.

Fast turn around (was fixed and on it's way back to me inside a week) and now working perfectly.

if you have a Solarmeter (any model) , I suggest you check it actually only reads when you press the read button , else you will be chewing up the 9v battery (and if this reads to a battery failure the repair may be expensive.
In my case 200USD to repair my unit (half that shipping by Fedex back to me).

I think I perhaps received a model 4.2 unit with a faulty microprocessor and I simply didn't notice the read button was malfunctioning when I received it or the other times in the first 12mnts because the battery lasted just over 12 mnths before going flat.

My model 6.5 and model 6.2 Solarmeters have been faultless.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to know and check on for those with a 4.2. I have not noticed any such issues with my 6.5. $200 for shipping for the repair? That's crazy - as much as a new unit costs!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I will be very reluctant to get future calibrations if they insist on that kind of extremely expensive shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom