Not eating after waking up from brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So my beardie of 1 and a half years decided to wake up today from brumation (he's been on and off sleeping for the last month and a half) and he decided to get up and walk and bask. Normally when he wakes up, or when I wake him up for a bath, he eats a piece or two of collard greens, soaked in water for extra hydration. But this time he is not eating anything. Its only the first day after brumation, and he woke up with some shed on his mouth, but this is normal right?
And my assumption is that he will go back to sleep in a few days. He has been doing this for the last month and a half maybe two, he is asleep for a few weeks, then awake for a few days, then back asleep for a few weeks, etc.
He is also not losing weight, so thats very good. From all the sleeping this last two months he has only lost about 3 grams.
But this is all normal right? he is not eating just because its the first day after brumation and because of the shed on his mouth? Even though in the past he would eat a little bit right after waking up.

Thank you!

edit: also i think its worth mentioning, that this time he was fully asleep. When he brumates he is usually semi brumating, he is awake for an hour or two in the mornings, then back to sleep, like that everyday. But this time, this last three weeks, he was fully asleep, i dont think he woke up once. Maybe this makes a difference too?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's all perfectly fine and him not losing weight is extra affirmation that he should be in good condition. :)

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
AHBD":2wgx3888 said:
It's all perfectly fine and him not losing weight is extra affirmation that he should be in good condition. :)
It's good to hear that this is okay, because mine is the same age and doing the exact same thing. I expected when he went under, we wouldn't see him for > month and that he'd sleep straight through. But he's up & down just like described in the original post. Mine has refused both food and water every time he's been up so far, and also not losing any weight.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Perfect! thank you :)

Actually he has lost more than 3 grams, he lost around 8 this last month, but is that still good? or is that too much weight lost?

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1a6l3e43 said:

Disregard my last post, read this one :p

Thank you! this makes me feel better.
He has actually lost 8 grams, not 3. But that is still good right?
Oh, and he actually just ate 3 super worms, lol. He didnt want any collard greens (surprised since he actually loves these) but ate some worms now. But now, if he wants to go back to sleep, those worms have to come out, which is fine. But my question is regarding his shed on his mouth. Should I wait till he is done with his shed on his mouth to let him back to sleep, that is, if he wants to go back to sleep? Or is he fine going back to sleep for a couple of weeks with his shed going?

Thank you again :)

edit: he is being SUPER active, running around my room non stop, lol!

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
BeardieSmaug":224fptej said:
AHBD":224fptej said:

Disregard my last post, read this one :p

Thank you! this makes me feel better.
He has actually lost 8 grams, not 3. But that is still good right?
Oh, and he actually just ate 3 super worms, lol. He didnt want any collard greens (surprised since he actually loves these) but ate some worms now. But now, if he wants to go back to sleep, those worms have to come out, which is fine. But my question is regarding his shed on his mouth. Should I wait till he is done with his shed on his mouth to let him back to sleep, that is, if he wants to go back to sleep? Or is he fine going back to sleep for a couple of weeks with his shed going?

Thank you again :)

edit: he is being SUPER active, running around my room non stop, lol!

I can't comment on the shed since this is the first time my beardie is in brumation and she's actually going through a shed too. Funny how that works. But her energy has been the same as you described yours. She was trying to go into brumation since the end of October, beginning of November, but I wouldn't let her yet. I needed her to go to the bathroom and then finally about a month later she goes 3 days in a row...so I finally let her go into full brumation. She slept for 5 days straight and woke up and stared at me wide eyed as I walked through the door after work...I thought it was fantastic, well she didn't eat much and now she's back under again with periodic wake ups to run around for an hour or so, then back to bed. She's been sleeping since yesterday afternoon. Oh the life of a beardie. Wish I could just sleep for days at a time without a care in the world. :blob8: :blob5:

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And I treasure the days that my beardie is up. I handle him and cuddle him so much throughout the day to the point where i start to worry that he is not getting his right amount of daily heat/UVB, lol!
He is gonna be up for another few days, and im 99% sure he will go back down for another couple of weeks.
The life of a beardie indeed, :lol:
just a few months then we fully get our beardies back! :blob5:
93594-4618748426.jpg
pic taken today. with his small shed on his mouth and beard. little bit thinner. He dropped around 8 grams this last 3 weeks.
93594-2792113265.jpg
taken right before brumating again couple of weeks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom