weird question please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
I had a weird dream that JIMMIA went into brumate, so do all beardies brumate? please, I've read the signs to look out for like (eating less, pooping less, sleeping earlier etc) but do they all have to brumate? I don't want to be bored and alone if he does but if it happens to be it has to be lol but also - what do you do when they do? can you still take them out of their tank? can you still pat them? do you need wrap them up in a blanket? I really truly hope he doesn't go into brumate at winter because that's around my birthday in May but we don't ever get snow and that's roughly when I got him :) sorry

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
After I researched when I suspected Tampico was going into brumation, I found out that most dragons do go into brumation. It's just coded in their DNA. When the temperatures drop, and they can tell a difference in ambient temperature even though they're in their tank with hotter temps, they tend to slow down and will sleep for multiple days at a time. So far Tampico is going through her brumation and when she was sleeping for 5 days straight, I turned all her lights off since she didn't need them (they conserve their energy and the lights aren't necessary at this time). She woke up a couple of times to get some movement, but never really ate. At that time I did turn her lights on so she could soak up some sun and UV rays, but she's gone back into sleeping and the lights have remained off. As far as taking him out while he's asleep and brumating, I do not suggest it because it may disrupt his sleep and make him brumate more so. However, if you are going to take him out, I suggest it only be to try and hydrate him by bathing and even then, you'll have to hold his head up for them if he's in a drowsy sleepy mode or if you're going to weigh him to make sure his weight is being maintained. He should only lose a few grams when he goes through brumation, like I said earlier, they conserve all their energy. This is just my opinion and what I've been learning through Tampico's first brumation. I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions and you'll do what's best for you and your beardie :)

Hope this helps!!!

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
vrenee1018":2b6a51w7 said:
After I researched when I suspected Tampico was going into brumation, I found out that most dragons do go into brumation. It's just coded in their DNA. When the temperatures drop, and they can tell a difference in ambient temperature even though they're in their tank with hotter temps, they tend to slow down and will sleep for multiple days at a time. So far Tampico is going through her brumation and when she was sleeping for 5 days straight, I turned all her lights off since she didn't need them (they conserve their energy and the lights aren't necessary at this time). She woke up a couple of times to get some movement, but never really ate. At that time I did turn her lights on so she could soak up some sun and UV rays, but she's gone back into sleeping and the lights have remained off. As far as taking him out while he's asleep and brumating, I do not suggest it because it may disrupt his sleep and make him brumate more so. However, if you are going to take him out, I suggest it only be to try and hydrate him by bathing and even then, you'll have to hold his head up for them if he's in a drowsy sleepy mode or if you're going to weigh him to make sure his weight is being maintained. He should only lose a few grams when he goes through brumation, like I said earlier, they conserve all their energy. This is just my opinion and what I've been learning through Tampico's first brumation. I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions and you'll do what's best for you and your beardie :)

Hope this helps!!!

thank you very now much :) I think I understood :) so please let me get this straight - 1) they all brumate 2) their lights can stay off because they absorb energy already so they can brumate 3) I can't really take him out of the tank unless I'm going to mist him 4) monitor how long they brumate 5) look out for the signs I mentioned 6) just be patient :) PS I'm from Australia we have different seasons to USA etc

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
You're from their origin country! That's awesome. But yes, that's mostly correct. They just conserve their energy before going into brumation. Also, I'm not sure about misting vs. soaking, but I think a soak to try to get them to drink would be better.. IMO. I'd also WEIGH him every now and then to make sure he isn't losing too much weight while hes brumating. Also, some people take a fecal sample into the vet to make sure they don't have worms or some infection before you let them finally brumate. I didnt do that with Tampi since she's was pretty darn healthy before she went into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom