BD purchase: breeder vs local store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

I pretty much made the common mistake by going to PetsMart and purchasing a baby BD. Im having a hard time with it, not eating crickets/worms and has not pooped in 5 days, so my plan is to return the BD and purchase a replacement but do it right.

I live in Dallas and there is a great store called DFW Reptarium and I have been to their store and its awesome. While they currently do not have any BDs for sale, at this time, they are planning on getting a new batch on Jan 06. When I expressed my desire to have a Citrus, they told me that the breeder they work with has Red Hypo and Orange leatherback. But, either way I could go to the store and look to see which one I would like.

Looking at the breeder websites, Im sure they have great colors but Im a little timid in the regards of what I would receive. I realize breeders would know what they are doing so I should get a good BD but it would be hard to "bring back" if anything goes awry. Also, I didnt take into account the shipping charge in which is practically another $75. My example is I called fireandicedragons.com and requested if they have any current pictures of their latest clutch and the guy was a bit rude. I understand because he is dealing with a beginner but I would think asking for a pic so I can look wouldnt be that far off? When I told him that I was looking to get a pet for around $200, he immediately said he can do that with the $75 shipping charge. The only other option was to pay $500 for one that does have a pic. Im just beginning and the $500 is ridiculous but I thought the $275 could go to a local store instead of paying 1/3 of the price on just shipping.

So what is recommended?
TIA

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Don't return him!!! A lot of us make that mistake, but it turns out all right. Mine was from Petco, and while their husbandry sucks, you have a living creature who needs you, more so considering where he/she came from! I consider mine a "rescue" even though I've been lucky, relatively speaking. Just because they start out bad doesn't mean they have no chance at a perfectly healthy life, and there are plenty of stories on this site about beardies coming out of truly horrible conditions to delight their owners with their resilience and zest for life.

What you describe sounds like common beardie things to me, and you have to be willing to put in some worry equity regardless of where your dragon comes from. You will have times when you are frustrated, worried, confused, and confounded by your dragon friend, but there are a lot of great tips here and posters who will help you through the chaotic world of beardie ownership. Please don't give up on the little one! This is mine as a baby and now, and I can't imagine not having him.

100140-1889551021.jpg
100140-5640157442.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I totally agree! Mine is a pet store beardie and he spent 9months in the store
He was green and dark and inactive when I got him. 2months on and he has turned into a beautiful orange and yellow colour, healthy and all round a amazing boy.
101427-289421240.jpg

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I wouldn't return him either. Any beardie you get will act like that. It's relocation stress. Also, you can try different types of food to feed him. When I got my Tampico, she tolerated eating crickets and one day decided she didn't like them and I switched to dubia roaches, which she prefers. They're also better for them overall. A little more meaty and more protein and such. Returning the beardie almost sounds like torture to me. You buy him, give him a good home, and then take him back to the crappy pet store because you don't like how it's behaving right now. You just gotta love it and nurture it to good health. Stick to it and I'm sure he/she will be the best beardie you've ever had! Give the little one a chance :p

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that they all deserve a good home and you should keep him. He can have a good, happy life with you and I think you'll find that you form a pretty strong bond with them over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom