Bearded Dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus51

Hey. I do not have a bearded dragon yet but I am -very- tempted to get one as I went to the pet store today and saw two little baby ones (They're not allowed to be sold yet until they reach a certain age and weight.) but admittedly I kind of adored them both because they stood on a rock proudly, looking like they belong in a Lion King movie or something.

Either way, back to the topic, I was hoping if someone would be patient enough too tell me all the necessary information about bearded dragons like things I should know about them so I can weigh the responsibilities of having one so I can see if it's the right pal for me.

The reason being I do not buy pets I know I wouldn't be able to handle and I would love to know more about these little creatures from people that actually have them rather than rely on a Wiki (Which anyone has access too and can change the information freely.)

If you could do such, it would be really appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you look to the right side of screen under articles there is a care sheet and guide for newbies what to buy etc..--- do not go by what the people at the pet store tell you unless its a mom and pops store who are breeders-- box stores do no know for the most part of what they are talking about--- buying two at a time I am not recommending that for a first time beardie owner-- you cannot keep two males together and unless you want babies I wouldnt get a female and a male -at this point you cant tell what sex they are cuz they are too young and wont be able to tell until they are like 6 months old or so......dragons are territorial-- and are mainly and loner pet-- they are not a childs pet -- care for them is more in depth than having a cat or dog- you haft to have the proper lighting like basking and UVB if you dont you end up w / a very sick dragon or a dead one! Another thing you want to get a tank big enough for them - not a 20 gallon as they will out grow it quickly - even your 40 gallons they out grow as well --- no sand --- it causes impaction for babies -- no super worms causes impaction and they cant digest them as they have a hard skeletel on them- feeding them small crickets for babies but I recommend small dubia roaches - they dont give parasites like crickets and are more nutritious for them - and they dont stink like crickets! There is a ton of information on this website -- please ask questions -- someone here can help you --- your dragon needs calcium and vitamins --- the articles on the right side of page can help you and if you have more questions please ask

Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi! If you go to the top menu on this site, there are a lot of really good tips for 1st time owners. I learned a lot there before getting mine. The articles have quite a lot of info, but a few things are "must know" before you buy. Sadly, most pet stores are clueless about these and a lot of beardies suffer because of it. Choice of habitat, substrate (what you put on the bottom of the cage), cleanliness of their environment, and location of lights all matter.

They must have correct temperature & lighting (visible and UV). There are plenty of posts on what that means here on the site. Just be aware that pet stores will generally sell you junk 'starter kits', so research what's actually needed so you don't waste money.

The cute little buggers you see now will grow to between 18 and 24" by age 2, so you will need to provide several iterations of cages. Having a small cage will not constrain their growth!

There are specific foods they need to have to grow & thrive, plus they will need calcium and vitamin supplementation to their diets. Again, there's lots of good info here.

You need to make sure there is a reptile vet near you who knows how to treat beardies because the need checkups like other pets, and invariably something will come up where you'll need a reliable source of care for your new friend. A standard vet will not be able to help.

Beardies can live to 10 years or more with proper care, so treat getting one like you would a dog or cat. Make sure you can find someone to watch them if you go out of town, because you can't just leave them.

If you own a dog or cat, you must protect your dragon from them-- especially cats, who are clever and persistent predators. At the very least, you need to be able to lock your cage down in such a way that it can't be knocked over or that the cat cannot jump up onto the lid & collapse it or paw it open. There are a few co-existence success stories out there, but it's a lot more common to hear about a moment's inattention or inadequate defenses causing tragic results for the dragon. They are fragile despite their spikes & claws, and their safety is 100% your responsibility, so I'd recommend against getting one if you feel you will not be able to protect them.

All the above may seem like too much of a hassle to bother with, but I can tell you from personal experience that these little guys are totally worth it! I have owned a lot of different pets over the years, and there's just something about a beardie that'll melt your heart. They're smart, funny, and affectionate(!) creatures, and I can't imagine not having one now that I'm a proud beardie slave (I mean owner) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom