Adopted New Beardie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I’ve recently adopted a one year old bearded dragon from a family that barely took care of him as they should have. I know I probably messed up, but on the second day, I changed out his substrate, picked him up, let him run around, and I gave him a bath. I know I likely stressed him out too much as it’s a new environment and a new person, and I was really worried about his health. I realized that his heat lamp from the owner was too low wattage, and bought him a correct one, and since then he’s perked up and started eating more, but now it seems he’s really scared of me or really stressed out. He lets me hand feed him for a short amount of time and pet him but he won’t let me pick him up, and he’s been doing some glass surfing (as well I’m giving him a new diet). Should I not try to pick him up anymore and wait to make anymore tank changes? Or should I continue trying to pick him up to get used to me?

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
So glad you took charge of your new friend. If his previous people did not pay much attention to him, he probably is not used to contact yet. Just like any animal, he'll be unsure of you and what you are going to do to him. So go slow and make every experience between the two of you positive.
When I first got Kevin, he was about a year old rescue also - everyday I would stroke his back, scratch under his chin (if your hand feeding - thats amazing!) Anything that was positive - in a few days - and then every other day, I would gently but firmly - like like to feel secure under their belly - take him out and just hold him on my chest - let him hear a heart beat, just a few minutes - make sure he feels secure. Go slow - it could take a few weeks to trust you, the more positive experiences the better.

Whats size tank is he in?
what kind of lights -
can you give me all the details of what you're feeding
what you have in the tank for entertainment? - glass surfing is stress related and sometimes bored or the tank is too small.

Kevin
102444-4557599607.jpg

DracoMum1117

Original Poster
His previous owners were feeding lettuce and carrots, which I know isn’t very nutritious, so I changed his diet to collard greens, mustard greens, carrots, and bell peppers. He seems to enjoy them, he’ll eat for a few minutes out of my hand and then refuse to take anymore. The previous owners also had a 75 watt heat bulb and a small uvb bulb, of which I’ve changed out the basking bulb to a 150 watt and am getting an 18” uvb tube. He’s in a 40 gallon tank, which I figured was an ok size for him. It seems possible he could’ve been glass surfing because I was sitting near his tank trying to get him used to me, but as of today he hasn’t done any glass surfing at all. He also does this thing when he starts refusing any more food where he shakes his head at me, almost like he’s saying “no, go away”. I don’t know if that’s normal aggressive behavior or something more. I’d also like to point out his previous owners only gave him reptical with his once weekly crickets, so I’m worried if he could have a calcium deficiency. I’ve been mixing in reptical with his veggies for the past couple days. He also doesn’t have a hide, so I’m making him one, and hoping that’ll help him adjust more than stress him out. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything ok, and not stressing him out too much.

This is his tank right now
102440-8529530023.jpg

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
No matter what you do, until he gets used to you, he'll be a tad stressed, but you are definitely going in the right direction. You're giving him the correct veggie diet which I'm sure he's very happy with and will start to feel much better. I would substitute butternut squash instead of the carrots - better for him, green beans are great too. once or twice a week give him a fruit treat of raspberry or strawberry - mine love the color red and love any red fruit. - Don't worry if he shakes his head when he's done with salad - and yes that him say, he's done - they usually don't gobble down the salad they way they do live prey. I figure its not as exciting to them - they don't hunt it. Always leave a nice fresh salad in the tank for him to munch on as he likes.
If he was only fed crickets once a week, I would increase his protein intake to every day (young dragons the ratio is 80% protein to 20% salad and then slowly reverse it as they get older) dust the crickets with calcium with d3 (this should help with any calcium deficiency) every day to start - and then every other day after a few weeks and also twice a week dust with vitamins in his salad or crickets. For protein - I actually prefer Dubai roaches, they are more nutritious than crickets, a bit more expensive, but they also don't jump all over or make noise. Also phoenix worms (which naturally have a load of calcium and don't need to be dusted) and superworms are good., a bit fattening, so do not feed them every day, they are like a once a week thing.
Dragons like to hunt - so if possible, put him in a plastic tub with the live prey and let him become baby Godzilla. Great stimulation for him and its fun to watch.
That's a good size tank and you set up and plan for the lights are good. You seem to be on the right track with him - he'll start to trust you and consider you his human in no time.

DracoMum1117

Original Poster
I had considered starting with apples but strawberries sounds a lot better! I fed him Dubias today and actually caught his twitch on camera, which I’m not sure I can attach here. He loves those things, he went crazy when he saw me taking them out of the container haha. I just hope this isn’t some suggestion of calcium or d3 deficiency. He seems a tad bit more adjusted, but a lot lore energetic with his new basking light. I wasn’t sure if more than a year is considered adult or still juvenile. But I have been feeding him a lot more veggies than bugs. I uploaded the part of the video that shows his head twitch on YouTube, I’ll link it here

https://youtu.be/bPtHi1mfatk

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
OMG - that's fabulous!! - I think that twitch was excitement. How many did he eat? - they love those Dubai's. I'm so happy for you. Like baby Godzilla
You should still be feeding bugs or worms every day for the time being though - still needs the protein and vitamins..but good on the veggies...

DracoMum1117

Original Poster
He ate 15-17 Dubias and 4 superworms, so a big meal, but that’s good, I’m glad it’s not a calcium deficiency. He does only do it when he’s eating. His poop schedule has been getting better too ? I know it’ll likely still take a few weeks to gain full trust, I just don’t want to leave a bad imprint on him early on

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks really good, very alert. I am sure he will adjust to his new home just fine.
Which UVB tube are you getting or do you already have it?
That head twitch is just something to do with eating, but doesn't look at all like metabolic bone
issues with the classic twitch.
At least he is eating so that is a great sign.
The tank is a good size for him & looks nice & bright for him also.
I'm glad he has a terrific home now!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom