Christmas Travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
So, I am trying to decide between two less than ideal situations.

I will be traveling (driving) to see family for Christmas. Sydney is only 11 months old, so I do not want to go even 1 day without fresh veggies and insects with him right now (I want him to grow as large as possible) - let alone the 4-6 days that I will be away. Therefore, I am looking at two options:

1. Leave a bunch of extra food in his tank (I have the basking hammock set so he can get on it, but crickets cannot, so minimal fear in them biting him while basking). His enclosure is 120 gallons, so it is a nice place for him. Maybe I could drop by halfway through my visit to replenish, but that would mean a 3 hr drive and would not be ideal.

Option 2: Take him with me. His "travel cage" is one of these: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61RESBY6y5L._SX425_.jpg along with a Power Sun MVB on a stand, so he would still get the heat and UVBs that he needs. He would also still be fed daily. However, this new, smaller enclosure could really stress him out. It's also cold outside, but I am comfortable transporting beardies in the cold, so I am not very worried about that much.

Thoughts??

ScottSB52

I was just going through the same conundrum with my 6-month old beardie. I've opted to take him with me to see the family and set him up in an enclosure there. It will be stressful for him, but I think less-so than being without fresh food for 3 full days. There's really no 'good' option here for us though, unless of course you can find someone to take care of the beardie while you are away.

I'm preparing a travel carrier with hand warmers to keep him comfortable during the journey. I just hope he won't be too pissed off by the 2 long trips in less than a week.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ScottSB52":1dbgqkff said:
I was just going through the same conundrum with my 6-month old beardie. I've opted to take him with me to see the family and set him up in an enclosure there. It will be stressful for him, but I think less-so than being without fresh food for 3 full days. There's really no 'good' option here for us though, unless of course you can find someone to take care of the beardie while you are away.

I'm preparing a travel carrier with hand warmers to keep him comfortable during the journey. I just hope he won't be too pissed off by the 2 long trips in less than a week.
I transport my foster beardie to school every Monday morning and home every Friday afternoon. I have a nice, very warm Northface winter jacket that I wear, put her on my chest (so she is covered with my body heat) and warm up the car ahead of time. She has been perfectly fine with that, even when it was in the 20s in the morning last week.

My last one, I would put her in a plastic shoe box that was set-up nicely and keep the car warm. She had a "summer home" at my parents when younger, but it is no longer there. I just ordered a brand new MegRay MVB which should work well along with a stand for one of those huge storage tubs (which I posted in my last post). I'll then bring a can-o-crickets to feed him ON Christmas Day, since the pet stores will not be open for that day.

There will be 4 dogs at the house, but I'll just keep the door closed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I bring my dragon with me when I travel by car. He has a carrier that attaches to a seat belt https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/ and I also use that as his portable enclosure. I have an adjustable lamp stand with a mercury vapor bulb in a dome fixture attached to a timer that I set up next to the carrier in a room that is closed off so he can free roam a bit safely. This has worked very well for me many times so as long as you can provide a closed off room or safe area it should be fine to bring him along. Some of them handle traveling better than others so keep that in mind, but my experiences have been good so far.

76248-2473803661.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How did it go? Darwin was with me too (Same room and setup as in the photo). He was a bit gloomy in the car ride back but now is racing around the house knowing he's home =)

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":61hwxzrv said:
How did it go? Darwin was with me too (Same room and setup as in the photo). He was a bit gloomy in the car ride back but now is racing around the house knowing he's home =)
I cut out a piece of linoleum and fit it in the bin... My foster is doing well in her bin. However, Sydney is blackbearding BIG TIME. Megaray mvb, lots of space, veggies, crickets, temps are close. Just relocation stress, I'm thinking? He isn't eating right now either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom