Traveling for Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottSB52

Hello Everyone,

I am the owner of a 6-month old beardie. I am going to be traveling to see my family for Christmas, and I am not sure of my best option for taking care of my little guy. I will be gone from Saturday to Wednesday, meaning three full days away from home. Currently, I see two options:

1 - Leave him at home with plenty of greens/pellet food to eat from.

2 - Take him with me when I go see my family and set him up in a temporary enclosure there.

Neither of the two seem to be great options. If he were older (18+ months old), I would be OK with leaving him, but at his age, he needs all the protein feedings he can get. However, putting him through the rigors of travel twice in one week seems like it would be incredibly stressful, and could run the risk of actually being more detrimental to him if he refuses to eat during the trip (which is possibility - he seems to get stressed out easily by any deviations from his routine).

How have folks here dealt with this?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is such a tough call! They do tend to travel pretty well most of the time.
Do you have a friend who could come over to help out with him while you are gone, or not?
If not, then since he is young, you could probably go ahead & consider just taking a temporary
enclosure for him. For just a few days, you could use just a nice bright basking light, leaving
the UVB home to avoid too much hassle. Then, you could still try to get food into him, while still
being able to take your trip for the holidays.

Tracie

ScottSB52

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Thanks so much for replying! I've checked in with some of my friends here, and it seems like everybody here is going home for the holidays as well. That's just what happens when you live in an area with so many transplants.

Looks like I'll be putting together a small temporary enclosure for little Tuco. He will not be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom