Water during Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!

Duchesse has been brumating since early to mid-october, and hasn't woken up once since. Before she went she was slightly dehydrated (from what the vet told me), yet refused to drink water from her bath or otherwise.

Since it's been two months since, I'm wondering if there's a way to keep her hydrated or if I should still let her be and wait for her to truly wake up on her own?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, so your dragon has been sleeping solid for 2 months ? Is she a good sized dragon, do you have any pics from before she went to sleep ? How did the vet determine that she is dehydrated ? What are your temps. + light schedule ? Sorry to ask all these Q's but they are relevant. Here's how to post pics if you have them :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":ik0t1ttf said:
Hi there, so your dragon has been sleeping solid for 2 months ?
Is she a good sized dragon? Yes, she was about 500 grams before she went to sleep.
Do you have any pics from before she went to sleep ? I think I do, but I'm in class right now, so I'll post them later.
How did the vet determine that she is dehydrated ? Her saliva was unusually thick, and before she went to sleep she had a pinworm treatment as well.
What are your temps. + light schedule ? When she went to sleep she was still on her summer schedule of 0700 to 2100, with a hot spot of 38°C ot 40°C. Since she went down I shut off her heatlamp and UVB, only keeping a ceramic heater to keep the temperature above 15°C since winter arrived early this year.

Sorry to ask all these Q's but they are relevant. Here's how to post pics if you have them :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a good size so should do fine in brumation. Since there's a chance that she's dehydrated though, get the temps. + lights back to normal, 2 months is long enough for a possibly unwell [ probably just slightly so ] dragon. Offer her oral hydration using a small spray bottle or syringe to drip it right on her mouth once she opens her eyes + the heat is on.

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
Ok, how else should I wake her up other the. Getting the lights back to normal? I don’t want to shock her system awake either, and yesterday the lights were on all day (testing a new UVB installation w/ the thermostat) and she still slept on, although she was under a blanket.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just move the blanket away from her face. It does not really shock them in a harmful way, at one point they need the lights + heat on anyway. She probably needs hydration soon since she had meds. before brumation.

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":z0mf97uy said:
That's good !

I got home @ 1800 and opened the lights, gently moved the blanket on top of her away and moved her closer to the light.

She got active pretty quickly. I gave her about 2 seringue of 10 ml full of water, although most of it fell on her chin, as well as some critical care. I had trouble giving her greens before (tho I suspect now it was because of brumation) and wanted her to eat something at least. I mixed in some calcium and vitamins as well.

I set her lights for the 'winter' cycle, they'll open at 0900 and close at 2000. She looks annoyed af, my poor grumpy baby. Right now she's digesting and taking in her surrounding. I'll get her some crickets for now before going to get so BSFL and Pheonix worms from the city, on wednesday.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I don't think she'll want to go back to sleep for now.

101318-9860515128.jpg
101318-9123921548.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you moved pretty fast, just take your time with everything + don't force any food or smoothie, just a bit of water. Give her body time to get her metabolism up. Don't give her any insects, just let her warm up . Hydration is fine for now. She looks quite stoic there, lol. Looks like she's still a good chunk as well. :)

DuchesseTheBeardie

Original Poster
It’s true I made it sound a lot busier then it actually was, hahaha. In reality I took breaks in between each step to check on the other animals my family owns as a group.

She’s still quite round (527g), that’s why I wasn’t too worried with the length of her brumation. I don’t think the previous owner ever let her go down, given that they fed her insects once a month.

She’s still quite cold however, so right now I just gently placed her on my chest under my bathrobe while I work on my essay to warm her up, since her light shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom