Safe for my dog and my Bearded Dragon to be together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutix

So I have a 2 german shepherds and a chihuahua. I know that Bearded Dragons carry salmonella and I'm worried on how that could happen with my dogs. I don't want them getting sick. Is it okay for me to have my bearded dragon out on my lap in the same room with my dogs? If they don't come up and lick my beardie will they be fine? I'm just wanting to make sure nothing bad happens to either of them and my house is a little crowded at the moment so one of the German shepherds and the chihuahua have to be in my room. I don't want my beardie to stay in his cage all day, but I also don't want my dogs getting salmonella. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd be more concerned about the dogs mauling the dragon than them getting a germ from licking him, heck dogs go around sniffing and licking each other's arses and there much nastier germs there and in their mouths than on any pet bearded dragon.

I would not be encouraging anyone to have their pet dragon out (of it's tank) when there are dogs in sight. Too risky.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Beardies are one of the reptiles that have a very low risk of salmonella exposure. My 4 year old son (almost 5) LOVES giving Charlie a kiss on the nose and I've been known to as well. None of us have ever had salmonella.

As for a beardie being out with pets - it all depends on the animals. Charlie is never left alone with either of my two cats or my large dog (Bishop is a mix bread, probably rottie/shep and some husky). That being said - Charlie scares the heck out of all three...it's pretty hilarious. Bishop will sniff and walk/hurry away, the cats will take off if he moves toward them :lol: My creatures are so brave (sarcasm). Heck, my cats are even afraid of my little parrotlet (all 6 inches of flying beakieness).

I would never risk leaving a beardie out of an enclosure unsupervised, but if you let your beardie out, make sure you are there to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom