New dubia colony.. first birth.. need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
I have a dubia starter coloney.. and finally after months of waiting one of my females is giving birth. However I think something might be wrong with her egg sack. It has been hanging out for a good 24hrs now.. there are babies.. but its like they have been coming out one at a time. The sac seems deformed maybe. The tip of it is dry..brown..and hard.. but the rest of it is lumpy and white. And its just hanging there. Im not sure if there are still babies inside..or if this is normal.. but based on the pics iff the internet it doesnt appear normal..should i try to pull it out? Or is she just a goner? How long does the birth process usually take? I will try to post a pic so u can see what im working with.. i cant wait to have a big healthy colony!! Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How big is your colony? I haven't watched that closely to births in my colony so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. My gut says to leave her alone since messing with things without knowing could wind up hurting more than helping. If others have watched this process more closely they may be able to provide more advice though.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1my9rar7 said:
How big is your colony? I haven't watched that closely to births in my colony so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. My gut says to leave her alone since messing with things without knowing could wind up hurting more than helping. If others have watched this process more closely they may be able to provide more advice though.

Not big at all. I first bought 20females..10males.. within 6 months.. im down to 2 males..15females.. this is the first one to have babies. So my colony is really depending on it

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's pretty small. You might consider adding a few hundred mixed sizes so that you don't have such a large gap between generations. It will take a long time for the babies to grow old enough to reproduce having some medium and large sub adult roaches may be helpful in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom