Prices of Baby Dragons,..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laylac123

We are getting a Baby dragon from Carolina Dragons here in a few days.
He is being shipped with next day fedex, we originally met the company at a local reptile show they are awesome and seem to be very reputable.
The price I was given last night is 200$ Because of his coloring and comes from Tialand Dragons ,this is literally killing me as the tank is 259$
Does this sound right. :( Every thing for the bearded dragon,and himself is $700

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds about right. Are you getting one of their custom tanks ? Does that include all the lighting ? I hope you get everything setup with lights & digital probe thermometer to get the temperatures correct before you get him. Baby beardies take a lot of care, they need live food 3 times a day. I would do more research, maybe rescue an older dragon. Please read as much as you can on this site.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
The member “Marlowandme” has some nice pictures of her setup. She was very worried too, at first. She seems to have everything perfect for her baby. You could always PM her for some advice. Just keep reading and asking mire questions. This is the best site for information.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Oh thank you , I appreciate you saying that but I def still have a lot of learning to do myself and I am still new to beardies for sure :)

I’ve replied to your pm too but I’ll add some stuff here :)
I have been very lucky finding my feet in this amazing forum which there are many, many very experienced and knowledgeable members who help people like me starting up :)
I can definitely share what I have learnt from here though
I really recommend getting your setup done 2 weeks before he comes home. I adopted an older dragon and quickly set my enclosure up the same day and I regret that now. A new owner has a lot to learn about temps , distances , lighting , heating alone - without worrying about the beardie and the settling in, feeding , poop ( yes you will worry about this haha) as well as gettin to know your new buddy :)
My temps weren’t warm enough and I was manic trying to sort that and trying different things back and forwards to purchase items to try get it all right for about a week! I was lucky mine being older was a bit more resilient (although still needed the right lights and heat asap ) a baby beardie is even more sensitive and needs all those things right.
Luckily I was given too much wrong information before finding this site so it was just my uvb and getting basking temp up that I needed to fix ( and Not to down play the extreme stress that caused! I am merely meaning it could have been even worse with wrong substrate, wrong feeding advice etc )

My tips would be :
Set up first. Make sure you are getting the right temps For at least a week - prefer two, BEFORE bringing him home. Without the right temps your baby will not be able to correct his temperature correctly , he will don’t be able to digest his food correctly which can lead to many problems and he won’t be able to shed correctly.

Uvb: Arcadia 12% t5 - that’s the short answer and with his basking distance being 12” from tube to dragon when basking.

No night lights - no red bulbs , blue bulbs or anything else that sounds like a line from Dr Seuss. it disturbs their sleep which also can lead to other problems. If you tank drops below 65f at night then get a ceramic heat emitter - I use Arcadia 100w on mine on a thermostat to control when it comes on and off- ceramic heat emitters ( or CHE For short) only produce heat - no light- so won’t disturb sleep.

Basking : again I use Arcadia , wide flood 75w - but every viv will differ and it takes some playing around to get the right temp -this was the main problem I had and why it was so stressful not having it sorted BEFORE I got Marlow.

Temps : basking 105 is ideal -no higher than 110 at any point- any hotter can cause burns to your dragon , warm end 95f and cool end 80-85f

Make sure to provide a hide in the cool end and a hide in the warm end - these are needed so he has different options to take when he requires it ( areas of high uvb and heat ( when basking ) areas of no uvb and heat (in warm end cave) , areas of no uvb nor much heat ( cool end hide) and areas of low uvb and not much heat ( in cool end)

My set up is here - BUT ignore the t8 on top - I have a t5 Arcadia 12% on order but it’s just taking time (long story) and I will be replacing my t8 with the t5 mounted INSIDE under the mesh lid the second it arrives
101427-779803801.jpg
101427-2365698810.jpg

Substrate : use nothing loose - no sand. It can cause impact ion ( I recommend reading up on impaction causes and signs so you know the dos and donts plus symptoms and signs) Tile I hear is great and wears down the nails too.
Paper towel works too
I use linoleum. It’s super easy to install ( just a ruler and a craft knife to cut it and just place it in ( don’t glue it in)
It’s super easy to clean mess up of too. Just make sure it’s the type that comes on a roll - not self adhesive as the glue isn’t safe. I use peices of slate as decor in his viv to help wear down the nails and give some traction like in this photo

101427-289421240.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, hope you don't mind if I chime in. :) When you say Carolina Dragons, do you mean Carolina Classic Dragons ? [ Dave Freeman I believe ? ] Which baby are you getting ? If so they are very beautiful and for his lines that's not too high priced. You do have to pay more for high color. One thing that's confusing, you say that this dragon is from Tialand Dragons ? Just wondering which breeder you are talking about ?

So all the info from Marlowe is great, definitely want to have the tank up + running. Good selection + advice on lights + use of CHE if needed. One thing I'd strongly suggest though is to set up the tank with a bit less cage decor. A baby coming from a breeder will be overwhelmed so it's best to just have one good tall basking log + the 2 half logs or caves that are also big enough to climb up high. I hatched + raised lots of babies and they do best in a simpler tank until they're older.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Oh that’s good to know AHBD about the simple tank for babies - I will have to remember that incase our desire to add another beardie gets too strong to fight haha!

Laylac123

Original Poster
Yes Carolina Custom Dragons is where our baby is coming from they are great , we met them at a reptile show.
Going with the advise ive gotten we have decided to set up ourvtank and get everything going smoothly then get the baby. Kinda disappointed because he was suppose to be for Christmas,....
We will continue to be on here daily and im sure even more so when ourvtank comes in !
Thank yall so much
Jamie and Layla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom