Raising a female

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, so I've been thinking of getting a new beardie for my home and I've only ever had a male. He's 10 years old and one of the most amazing animals I've ever experienced, and I would like to get another and everywhere I've been looking have been mostly females, however females worry me because of laying eggs and complications, so if I did get a female what would I need to do differently? What do I need to avoid? Are their personalities the same as males or are they more reserved and don't like to be handled much? Any information is helpful!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, both male + female can be either high strung or relaxed. Females can develop infertile eggs when mature [ some do while quite young ] while others don't. Some may lay a first clutch as late as 7,8,even 9 years old. The signs are restlessness, a fat belly [ usually ] and digging while ignoring food out of the blue.

BTW, if you're looking for nice large juvenile males there are some for sale here [ one of the oldest breeders in the U.S with a great reputation ]

http://dragonsdenherp.com/?page_id=9

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just one dragon in the house - you'll find your girl will settle in nicely in no time.

My Rex never laid eggs , Peppa is 3 years old and has not produced eggs and has a wonderful laid back smoogy disposition.
Loves snuggles and spending time chilling on the lounge next to us when she's warmed up too much to enjoy a snuggle.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Male and female bearded dragons are often very similar in looks and behavior, but there are some differences. Most male bearded dragons are bigger than females and have more personality. Males are more outgoing, and often engage in social engagement more actively. But at the same time, they often become territorial and aggressive during breeding seasons, while females usually remain calm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I can concur …. my boys Puff then Toothless were both forces to be reckoned with come late winter and spring …. nothing on the floor was safe from their amorous attentions LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom