Thoughts on Argentine Tegus????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I know this is a Bearded Dragon Forum for the most part but, I HAVE to do my Research before going into this!!!!

I am seriously kicking around the idea and, was wanting some opinions on the matter. I have been reading a lot of articles and, viewing youtube videos on these beautiful creatures and, have discovered a similarity in them with Bearded Dragons. I am open to any and, all input.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, my love for dragons will never go away. I just don't want to take the chance of getting my heart ripped out again, hell I can't even look at a toad without getting misty right now.

I am not saying I won't get another dragon, just weighing other options.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
My friend has a Tegu, they are amazing animals. To be honest in my opinion they are slightly better than dogs. ?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I had to look them up as I’d never heard of them before this post. Over here we can only get 2 types of tortoise, beardies , Australian water dragons and leopard geckos. No chams, iguanas or anything.
They sound amazing from what I read today

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The bigger the lizard the more space they require. The smarter the lizard the more enrichment they require. Keeping a tegu is going to be a lot more resource heavy than a beardie - just in terms of lighting and caging necessary to keep them healthy because if their size.

Some of the famous tegus are not healthy and would be poor role models for care standards. Many people choose to free roam their tegus, which long term can have devistating health impacts.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Taterbug":3n0l7nyd said:
The bigger the lizard the more space they require. The smarter the lizard the more enrichment they require. Keeping a tegu is going to be a lot more resource heavy than a beardie - just in terms of lighting and caging necessary to keep them healthy because if their size.

Some of the famous tegus are not healthy and would be poor role models for care standards. Many people choose to free roam their tegus, which long term can have devistating health impacts.

Well HELLO old friend, long time no see! It is great to see you!

I wouldn't freeroam mine due to things that go on in our daily lives and, if I do get one it will have anything and, everything it needs. I still have a lot more research to do before making that commitment.
I may have to get with you about bioactive substrates, you are the only expert I know on the subject.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's been a while since I looked into monitors (was thinking about ackies; tegu and most others are too big for me) but there were some good forums out there dedicated to them and they tend to use alot more soil since monitors tend to big diggers. Good luck on the research! :study:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom