Playing with my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillzilla

Hi Everyone!
I'm a newbie beardie mom to Hundley, who's around 5 months. I have two little boys, age 4 and 6. They're awesome with her (I think it's a her), and I'm always attentively supervising when they handle her, but she still seems a little freaked out by them. My question is essentially that I'm looking for good ideas on how to "play" with Hundley safely? I'm a little paranoid because about a week after we got her (she was 11 weeks old at that point), she snuck out of a cardboard box we put her in while cleaning her tank. It took us 24 hours of ransacking the whole house (including taking apart the refrigerator) until we found her. I'm so scared she'll get lost again. We have a small animal play pen, but that seems to aggravate her because she can see the rest of the room and wants to go run under the couch and spends the whole time trying to escape by rubbing her nose up against the bars. The safest bet to let her run around a little right now is putting her on the kitchen table and letting her run around a little, but that doesn't seem sanitary. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what she likes. She just kind of sits there and looks around, and then bolts in one direction or another (although sometimes she puts up a fight when it's time to back in her tank, so I suspect she likes being out). Thoughts? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It will take some time to find out what she likes (and doesn't) but keep watching her and gauge her responses. They are very curious, especially as little ones so I like to encourage letting them explore if you can do so in a safe area. Block off areas that she could get stuck in and clean small bits up off the floor that she can ingest. After a while you'll find that even when she hides, she will start going to the same places so it makes it easier to find them. I've also had very good luck setting up a portable basking spot in the room. My guys will return to that to warm up when they're out roaming the house. They've all really enjoyed sitting in a window sill watching outside too. I have a soft dog bed propped up against the window sill for my guy to sit in and it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom