New Parent (Not an introduction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Alright so, I got my bearded dragon baby 2 weeks ago to the day. I doubt I'm the only one, but worrying about this or that or this and that and everything in between having never had one before. I've made various posts else where that had a tiny bit of info in each, whether it be behavior food or her viv... but it seems each individual post ends up lacking something or another so a good answer isn't found. Mainly looking to calm nerves but any correction would be lovely as well, so here we go:

She's between two and three months old, bought from a nearby breeder. I'm still waiting to find out when her clutch came around because I never thought to ask initially. She's roughly 5.75 inches now, having only been 5.5 or so inches two weeks ago. She has shed once in that time, and eats 2-3 times per day at around ten 1/4" crickets per feeding. She's grown enough to have 1/2" crickets, so that's what she will have when the new order comes in. Her tank is 65-70F during the night, and 80-90F during the day. I'm not entirely sure what her basking spot sits at, but the floor beneath is 90F and she is raised up at least 7 inches on a slanted log where she can climb higher/lower as needed within area of the basking lamp which is a ReptiSun 75W spot lamp. She currently has a compact bulb which I have since found out is bad so in the next two days I am getting an 18" reptisun T5 Ho tube for her 20G long tank (30x12x12). She always has kale available, which she readily eats quite often. She has water in the tank as well, but that is removed if humidity becomes too high or extra is given when too low. I try to balance it in the high 30s. Her poop is fine, but the urate seems chalky so she's given a bath every few days. She has dark marks on her underside while in her tank, but they lighten up if not entirely disappear when she is taken out. I give her time to roam around outside her tank 2 times per day usually. She tends to take that time to sleep on me or run around seemingly randomly. She keeps at least one eye closed quite a lot which I'm not sure if it should be a concern or not, but as I mentioned I'm replacing the UVB light. She seems rather curious and runs around a bit regardless, but most of the time spends her waking hours at the top of her log. I think I forgot to mention, but she does have a hide that she hasn't once been under.

If I think of anything else I'll post, but commentary from the more experienced would be awesome... Nerves are getting the better of me :oops:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, everything sounds good, baby is eating pretty well and a 20 long is fine. :) I'd advise to not get the 1/2 crickets though, these are too big for a baby that is barely 6". I bred + raised lots of them and they are very susceptible to impaction when they're under 7", so stick with the 1/4" crix until she's at least 7-7.5".

Can you post pics of the baby [ what's it's name ? ] and the tank ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Can't believe I forgot to mention her name and add pics! Her name is Dezzy, it took me quite awhile to decide on that. Here's her tank, she tends to be between half way up and the top of the log. Timer set to be on from 8AM to 10PM.
101824-1808624561.jpg

Here's pictures of her from one to two weeks ago, it won't let me upload new ones from today for some reason:
101824-9910116726.jpg
101824-789771439.jpg

And duly noted on keeping to 1/4" crix for her. Also, I'll be getting a thermometer with a probe to check different spots more accurately when I replace the UVB bulb in the next couple days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, Dezzy is a cutie [ as they all are are :) ] and her set up looks great ! Best not to have it too cluttered for a baby. If I may, I'd add 1 suggestion. Get a nice rock from outside, wash with hot soapy vinegar water, rinse well and dry. Put that in at the base of her climbing log and you'll have a nice warm rock that anchors the log and will help wear her nails down.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I got her a new UVB bulb and appropriate fixtures and within an hour she's more active, not keeping her eyes closed, stress marks are GONE, and my nerves have subsided. Now if only I didnt order the wrong crickets :banghead:

On the bright side, I called the place that I ordered the crickets from and they offered to overnight the same count of proper sized crickets for a total of $5 less than I paid for the previous order which was several day shipping. Sadly nothing could be done about the original order, thankfully only $20. Guess the birds get treats? I don't know :lol:

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Looking good! Kale isn’t ideal, feed collard greens squash and dandilion greens. As she gets older I’d add a few more decor items but since she is so young I thinks it’s a good idea to keep it simple. I worried a TON when I first got my beardie so don’t worry!

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Its about time I replace the kale Ive been feeding her. Lasted about two weeks and she went through all of one entire leaf during that since she's a baby and mostly eating crickets. Unsure about buying multiple diff things because a LOT will end up being thrown out. I picked up collard greens and dandelion greens tonight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom