New Beardie owner, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm a new owner of a baby beardie (Yuno), I got her two days ago and I'm already in love with her but I'm just very worried about making her ill or not feeding her enough so thought I'd ask some people with more experience then I do, the people I got her from (a Reptile shop that has seemed to of taken very good care of her) told me to feed her 5-6 crickets every cricket day and cycle each day so that I feed her crickets one day and greens the next and dust every meal 50/50 with multivitamin and calcium, though I'm not sure if that's enough? I trust the people at the shop but I'm very good at over-reacting so just want to make sure that it's okay, I hand fed her 5 (or 6 can't remember) crickets yesterday as she won't eat them if they're running around and wouldn't eat anymore, she also ate a tiny bit of rocket but that wasn't dusted I just wanted to see if she'd eat something else. She's probably about a month old if that so she's very young and if you need anymore questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks in advance!

Edit - she also seems really sleepy all the time, her temp of her Viv is about 27c and her basking spot is around 35c-40c, so I'm not sure if she's inactive because she's tired, hungry, scared because of the new environment, or cold. I can handle her fine and when I go to stroke her, or pick her up she doesn't flinch she seems more then happy, where I place her she'll stay for hours and not move, I'm sure it's nothing but I'm just worried as I've never owned a Beardie before
101931-8118852540.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just a quick reply, I can go in to more detail later. They can eat 15 or more small bugs in a sitting twice a day, but since your baby is new it may not eat much right now due to stress. They need protein from insects every day, so the store is talking about an adult dragon's diet, not a baby. I raised loads of babies and they eat a LOT of bugs. The calcium on one meal per day, multivitamin 2 X a week, no more.

What type of lights do you have, that is critical ? The brand + wattage are important. Post a few pics of the set up , including the lights.

FluffballYuno

Original Poster
AHBD":1fi8m72d said:
Hi there, just a quick reply, I can go in to more detail later. They can eat 15 or more small bugs in a sitting twice a day, but since your baby is new it may not eat much right now due to stress. They need protein from insects every day, so the store is talking about an adult dragon's diet, not a baby. I raised loads of babies and they eat a LOT of bugs. The calcium on one meal per day, multivitamin 2 X a week, no more.

What type of lights do you have, that is critical ? The brand + wattage are important. Post a few pics of the set up , including the lights.
Hello and thank you for your response, I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the brand of what I bought but they weren't cheap, I bought them in the store and they costed around £50-£60 for both, all I know is that the UVB is 10% 18 inches long and the wattage of the basking light is 50, I'll post a few pictures of my set-up, if you need to know anything else please let me know
101931-4158850522.jpg
101931-2390801814.jpg
101931-5603701533.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How big were the crickets ? For a baby b.d. the bugs should be smaller than the space between their eyes, it's really important. If they are too big they can cause stomach upset if baby can't digest them, as well as impaction. Can you post pics of the crickets next to a coin ?

Can you go to the store that you bought him from + see what the other siblings look like if they're still there ? If they all look lethargic it may be an illness they all have. Hopefully it's just stress + maybe too large of insects.

FluffballYuno

Original Poster
AHBD":2fv2hkx2 said:
How big were the crickets ? For a baby b.d. the bugs should be smaller than the space between their eyes, it's really important. If they are too big they can cause stomach upset if baby can't digest them, as well as impaction. Can you post pics of the crickets next to a coin ?

Can you go to the store that you bought him from + see what the other siblings look like if they're still there ? If they all look lethargic it may be an illness they all have. Hopefully it's just stress + maybe too large of insects.
I made absolute sure that the crickets were no bigger then the space between her eyes as I read a lot of bad things about this, I've even gone to the store today and bought the one smaller size crickets (they're black ones instead of brown but should still be fine right?) As for her siblings the one she was with seemed fine and happy, came up close to the glass and wanted us to pick him up and seemed to be eating fine when we saw them fed, thankfully about 10-15 minutes ago after persisting getting her to eat I managed to get her to eat some cabbage leaves and some grated carrot so I'm a little less stressed now. Seemed like she got a bit more active after she had her first poo so maybe she was a bit constipated? She was running around for about an hour exploring her viv and now she's climbed up on her log and fallen asleep. Any other questions please feel free to ask as I'm still a tad bit worried but I'm sure for no reason. :? :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The crickets are fine, just offer them later in the day again. Feed her in her tank, just a few at a time but as many as she wants until she's full. It's probably just stress , give her some time to settle in, post any new concerns you have. :)

FluffballYuno

Original Poster
AHBD":1jeej9s5 said:
The crickets are fine, just offer them later in the day again. Feed her in her tank, just a few at a time but as many as she wants until she's full. It's probably just stress , give her some time to settle in, post any new concerns you have. :)
Will do, thanks a lot for your quick responses, greatly appreciated!

FluffballYuno

Original Poster
AHBD":3f8z5mqo said:
hey there, just got a few more questions, today she's eaten two crickets, some carrot and a bit of cabbage leaves(really scared she's going to starve herself or make her unhealthy for her adult years), last night I ordered 500 Phoenix Worms hoping they might be a bit easier for her to eat? I also heard they're very healthy and calcium rich for them so my question is can I use them as a staple if she'll eat them instead of crickets?
Also should I bathe my beardie? She doesn't smell or anything like that but I heard a bath can hydrate them or make them feel better, I don't think she's dehydrated as I've always put water on her veg which she eats a little but just thought I'd ask, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom