Type of beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never been able to get my beardies breeder info so I have no clue what his parents looked like or they were bred with any special traits. I was just wondering if he had anything “special” to him or if he just naturally has beautiful colors. I’ve always noticed how bright yellow he gets! His front legs and spikes will get bright yellow and the spikes on his face get bright organge! I’ll have some pics of him below :)
101148-2199062580.jpg
101148-4313086346.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
He looks very similar to my boy
He is kind of a greenish greyish with a hint of yellow some times and other times he is yellow and orange
Mine has one citrus parent I was told from where I got him but they had no idea on the other parent
It seems to be quite common colouring
Here’s my boy colours at different times
101427-2986788298.jpg
101427-837021680.jpg
101427-6699712388.jpg

BishopFam

mollyandsav":2evs6unk said:
I’ve never been able to get my beardies breeder info so I have no clue what his parents looked like or they were bred with any special traits. I was just wondering if he had anything “special” to him or if he just naturally has beautiful colors. I’ve always noticed how bright yellow he gets! His front legs and spikes will get bright yellow and the spikes on his face get bright organge! I’ll have some pics of him below :)
101148-2199062580.jpg
101148-4313086346.jpg
Hello,
Very pretty dragon! I do not know how much info you have about this stuff, so I will tell you what I know as if you know nothing. Sorry if i'm telling stuff you are already aware of. I am no expert, but I have done quite a bit of research into different "morphs and phases" (traits and colors). Your dragon appears to be normal (normal scales, not leatherback, silkie, or dunner). Color appears to be citrus with "blue bars" (the greyish bars on back). As for the other traits, its hard to tell from the pictures. With out help from the breeder, unfortunately you'll never no what genetic traits (morphs) your dragon is "het" for unless you breed and see what comes out. "Het" means your dragon has hereditary traits that are not visible, but are present in the genetics and can be passed down through breeding. If your dragon has clear nails instead of black, it is "Hypo". Hypo, short for hypomalanism, is a deficiency or absence of melanin. This causes the nails to be clear and the dragon to have brighter colors. If it has solid black eyes, it is "trans". Trans, short for translucent, causes the scales of the dragon to be translucent. This is more apparent in young dragons. The black eyes are the biggest indicator. The other traits (Zero, witblit, paradox) do not appear to be visibly present, but could be het. There is also "German Giant", which grow to be larger than normal. You wont know that until your dragon is full size, and you compare the size with info online regarding size of normal dragons vs german giant dragons. Hope this helps! Anyone else who see's this, let me know if I missed something or got anything wrong.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Oh wow that was super informative !
I know mine has citrus from one parent. is he just citrus or with blue bars also?
101427-6814902858.jpg

BishopFam

Jaspersmama":3ts0dv1x said:
I know mine has citrus from one parent. is he just citrus or with blue bars also?
101427-6814902858.jpg
Hello,
Sorry for the late response! Again, I am no expert. I have simply done extensive research. First off, let’s talk about colors and their respective descriptions. It seems to me that breeders may just make up a term like “crimson red” or “fire red” or even “citrus”. I think that these are just fancy made up terms to describe the base colors: red, yellow, orange, etc. So, if a dragon is labeled as being “citrus”, I believe that is just a way of saying the dragon is mostly yellow. “Super citrus” Is commonly used to describe a very vivid yellow. These things are randomly inherited from parent dragons, and siblings can look similar or different from one another. Now, from your description and the photos, I think you could call your dragon a citrus (or citrus mix). As for the blue bars, it’s hard to tell through the photos but I do think that is what the stripes on the sides of the back are ( blue bars are a grey color striping along both sides of the back). Now, are these colors specifically “special”? Yes and no. I think all dragons are special, but from a unique/rare type perspective, i would say that neither are crazy special or rare. Dragons are very frequently bred in the citrus color, and lots of dragons end up with blue bars (in my opinion, the bars a little special). Colored dragons are typically more sought after than standard cloored dragons, so having a citrus dragon can be an indicator that you got your dragon from a breeder who produces nice colored dragons. Normal, wild bearded dragons do not have these reds, oranges, yellows etc, in the wild (for the most part). So, these were intentionally bred to have these colors. Some are more sought after than others, but they are all Awesome. Now, one thing that is random and can make a dragon more “special”, or regarded different, is the pattern they have. Your dragon has a very nice pattern. I hope this helps

BishopFam

showmanshoe":d4k0v8m5 said:
Newbie here, that kind of huge beardie, actually how long can bearded dragon survive and live, and also how big can it turn out? Is that depending on the certain breed as well or it might be all the bearded will have the maximum size no matter how long it lives.
Hello,
Bearded dragons live for 10+ years on average, but can live for 15+ years if taken good care of. Normal bearded dragons can be 16 to 22 inches in length, but german giants can get larger. I’ve read reports of 23 to 28 inch German giant dragons. It is apparently hard to find true German giant dragons though. I hope this helps!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Thank you :) and again, very helpful :)
Here in nz citrus is as “special” as it gets. Oh and one breeder breeds for orange. But no whites, reds, tigers ( well at least not intentional tigers but I have seen similar markings before)
I haven’t learnt about any other colours patterns or morphs. But I did find out through a rescue in nz the other day that Marlow’s colouring isn’t common in nz as only have two breeding dragons that are known to be breeding dragons in nz that are citrus. Typically they are usually the standard colour that are available. I hadn’t heard of blue bars until your response to the OP but I like the term :)
I really like Marlow’s pattern - it’s quite a nice pattern IMO :) but again, “special” or “typical”- neither is a decider for me when I chose him. He just really deserved a nice family after spending 9months in a petshop and really need a tank upgrade as he was in a 18” square viv.

BishopFam":1dvzjcng said:
Jaspersmama":1dvzjcng said:
101427-6814902858.jpg
Hello,
Sorry for the late response! Again, I am no expert. I have simply done extensive research. First off, let’s talk about colors and their respective descriptions. It seems to me that breeders may just make up a term like “crimson red” or “fire red” or even “citrus”. I think that these are just fancy made up terms to describe the base colors: red, yellow, orange, etc. So, if a dragon is labeled as being “citrus”, I believe that is just a way of saying the dragon is mostly yellow. “Super citrus” Is commonly used to describe a very vivid yellow. These things are randomly inherited from parent dragons, and siblings can look similar or different from one another. Now, from your description and the photos, I think you could call your dragon a citrus (or citrus mix). As for the blue bars, it’s hard to tell through the photos but I do think that is what the stripes on the sides of the back are ( blue bars are a grey color striping along both sides of the back). Now, are these colors specifically “special”? Yes and no. I think all dragons are special, but from a unique/rare type perspective, i would say that neither are crazy special or rare. Dragons are very frequently bred in the citrus color, and lots of dragons end up with blue bars (in my opinion, the bars a little special). Colored dragons are typically more sought after than standard cloored dragons, so having a citrus dragon can be an indicator that you got your dragon from a breeder who produces nice colored dragons. Normal, wild bearded dragons do not have these reds, oranges, yellows etc, in the wild (for the most part). So, these were intentionally bred to have these colors. Some are more sought after than others, but they are all Awesome. Now, one thing that is random and can make a dragon more “special”, or regarded different, is the pattern they have. Your dragon has a very nice pattern. I hope this helps

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom