Good size for 6 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Donny is now around 6 months old, 15-16 inches long (don’t know weight). This photo was taken last week, I have since upped his bugs slightly as I thought he (or she) looked a little underweight?

He is in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv, and will be in a bigger one in the next year. There are 2 UV tube lights, one 10% one 2% and a 100W heat lamp. Temps under the basking spot range from 35-45, warm end 30, cool area 25-27. Substrate is Exo Terra sand mats or newspaper but hoping to switch to tile (any recommendations would be great).

Meals are twice a day, usually 25-30 calci worms with the odd mealworm in the morning. In the afternoon, 15-20 calci worms, 5-6 medium dubias and then either 12-15 medium crickets or 6 crickets + 6 locusts. I dust all of these with calcium and vitamin powder 5 times a week, and they are offered potato, orange occasionally, and then any greens or veg I put in his salad.

Salad wise he is still not great at eating it, I hand feed him some of it which he will eat (particularly fruit) but there is fresh offered every day. A mixture of spring greens, kale/rocket, carrot, squash and tomatoes a few times a week, cucumber occasionally for hydration and then grapes on a few days. A water bowl is also in the viv and changed daily.

100794-5642789598.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m not experienced at all as I’m on my first dragon , but he looks good - the viv is a decent size , he’s longer than my boy ( Marlow is 14” at 10months old )
I’ve seen others saying head shape sunken in etc can be a sign of underweight so maybe pop a photo up of his face and head too incase someone with more experience comes along :)

Other than that the calcium is 5times a week and the vitamins are only 2times a week ( on the days you don’t do calcium) the temps are good except don’t let the basking be over 43c maximum - any more than that can cause burns. 40-41c is the ideal for a young beardie of his age
At 6months of age he’s still got time to get used to eating more vege so I would just keep going as you are but restrict the fruit to only 2 x a week max
Included a pic of my 10month old 14” for your comparison
(He was shedding in this pic)
101427-2986788298.jpg

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying, I’ve changed his calcium / vitamin days to what you suggested.

Here is some pics of his head/face
100794-8610057192.jpg
100794-8400231087.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom