Good size for 6 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Donny is now around 6 months old, 15-16 inches long (don’t know weight). This photo was taken last week, I have since upped his bugs slightly as I thought he (or she) looked a little underweight?

He is in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv, and will be in a bigger one in the next year. There are 2 UV tube lights, one 10% one 2% and a 100W heat lamp. Temps under the basking spot range from 35-45, warm end 30, cool area 25-27. Substrate is Exo Terra sand mats or newspaper but hoping to switch to tile (any recommendations would be great).

Meals are twice a day, usually 25-30 calci worms with the odd mealworm in the morning. In the afternoon, 15-20 calci worms, 5-6 medium dubias and then either 12-15 medium crickets or 6 crickets + 6 locusts. I dust all of these with calcium and vitamin powder 5 times a week, and they are offered potato, orange occasionally, and then any greens or veg I put in his salad.

Salad wise he is still not great at eating it, I hand feed him some of it which he will eat (particularly fruit) but there is fresh offered every day. A mixture of spring greens, kale/rocket, carrot, squash and tomatoes a few times a week, cucumber occasionally for hydration and then grapes on a few days. A water bowl is also in the viv and changed daily.

100794-5642789598.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m not experienced at all as I’m on my first dragon , but he looks good - the viv is a decent size , he’s longer than my boy ( Marlow is 14” at 10months old )
I’ve seen others saying head shape sunken in etc can be a sign of underweight so maybe pop a photo up of his face and head too incase someone with more experience comes along :)

Other than that the calcium is 5times a week and the vitamins are only 2times a week ( on the days you don’t do calcium) the temps are good except don’t let the basking be over 43c maximum - any more than that can cause burns. 40-41c is the ideal for a young beardie of his age
At 6months of age he’s still got time to get used to eating more vege so I would just keep going as you are but restrict the fruit to only 2 x a week max
Included a pic of my 10month old 14” for your comparison
(He was shedding in this pic)
101427-2986788298.jpg

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying, I’ve changed his calcium / vitamin days to what you suggested.

Here is some pics of his head/face
100794-8610057192.jpg
100794-8400231087.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom