How do I transport Marlow to vet (2hrs round trip) in cold??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Temps here are usually around 10c in winter and even in summer hot of the day only 20c ish
So I need a plan in advance in how to transport Marlow to our vet 40mins away , half hour for appointment , then drive home another 40mins
So we are talking about 2hours without his CHE which usually runs 24/7

What type of pet carrier? Plastic ? Fabric ?
Someone suggested a wheatbag with a blanket over it , but given I know heat rocks and heater pads are a no-no I’m assuming this isn’t the way to go?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A small zip up pet carrier with, two plastic 20oz bottles filled with hot water, wrapped in a towel, is what I used to take Peaches to her appointments in cold weather.You can refill them for the trip home at the vet's office. Wrap your dragon in her favorite blankie and, your ready for the road. She loved it!

If you get one with the mesh top, be sure to cover the top to hold the heat in.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you use water bottles, be sure that they are secure + can't roll + smash the dragon. You might use some store bought handwarmers, they are small but get really hot [ close to 160 ] so once you open them + shake them to activate it, you wrap them in newspaper + tape them up so they can't fall out and come in contact with the beardie. A couple of those will heat the transport box pretty well and last for hours + hours..

BTW, are you traveling by heated car ? If so, I've traveled with beardies in the cold weather with no heat in their box, just kept the car temp. around 75-80.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Me and Slip are in michigan and her vet is 2 hours away, I heated the car to 80 degrees before I even took her in there. Before that I got a small dog carrier that has a wool bottom and I will post a picture of that. Then i put 2 heat packs in the back of the carrier with a shower towel over top of those so that they do not touch Slip because they get hot all you want them to do is heat up the towel a bit because if your vehicle is 80 degrees having the heat packs are just a safety measure. Put your beardie in the carrier and you should be all set it will be a hot ride for you in the vehicle but atleast your beardie will be comfortable. When transporting your beardie in to the car cover him or her with towel so he or she does not feel any cold or any type of cold breeze. This is what I did and then scheduled her appointments in the summer from there on out hope this helps good luck..

BG23

Hatchling Member
BTW you mentioned in you're post that you have a CHE for him on 24/7? Why do you keep it on that long? Does the temps get below 65 degrees at night in his enclosure? Heat sources and Uvb sources should be a 12 on 12 off process unless during brumation or unless temps fall below 65 degrees F during the night.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes temps drop below 65f , in winter our average midday temps are 52f ish and night is a lot less.
Even summer the average hot day is only 68f

I’ll def get the soft carrier :) and try to get one without a mesh top - thanks for the tips guys :)
Appointments in summer is a great idea too where possible
Car heater is great idea too

I’ll have to look into these hand warmers as I can’t say I’ve ever seem here

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Where are you from ? Every Walmart should have handwarmers in the sports section. And you can use a plain cardboard box with shredded newspaper to take him in. Newspaper is great if they have to poo during transport.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
New Zealand :)
No Walmart here, I’m thinking maybe our chemists would have something like the hand gloves though... I’ll have to go for a hunt I think :)

The 100w che is on a thermostat too , although it doesn’t need to be as the 100w is needed all the time - but just as a safety precaution I use a thermostat.
I know others on the forum from NZ too that at times need to add an extra che (50w) to the 100w one to get the temps right

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
my beardie sits in my jacket or shirt, she will climb up to the top of my seat in the truck. temps here get to -30C ish. truck is warm and she is always hot to the touch in my jacket, even to the point of poking her head out to gape.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
My Dragons are rather used to normal Car temperatures and they have been on a 22 hour drive (11 there and back). They seem to not mind the car, But then again We have the always warm Carolina Weather (Almost always above 70F lol)

When we drive and the drive gets cold I get a corn bag and heat it up, they seem to retain heat up to an hour. and I Just put the Corn bag into their Fabric carrier bags.

and When the corn Bag runs out of heat I just put them under my shirt to help keep them warm.
View media item 61132 This was when we took all three of the dragons (plus my snake) With us on the 11(22) hour drive (From the left, Daisy, Loki, Cisco, and then Ruby the snake on top).
View media item 60655During the daytime we would trade out each dragon and let each one of them bask
On the Dashboard and they seemed to like that.

Hope this was helpful! :D

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I ended up turning the car heater on to 30c till it warmed it and then down to 27c the whole way. It was only 12c outside and pouring down but we were all cosy in the car in tee shirts! Hahah
I put Marlow’s blanket in the hot water cupboard to warm up first and then burrito’d him in it in his soft carrier
He seemed content
101427-689477618.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Aww I'm glad Marlow seemed to take the drive well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom