Last minute questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emjay22

Hi everyone!! In a few days I’m going to be getting my first bearded dragon. I can’t wait! I just have a few questions.
1.) what do I transport them in? I’m buying my bearded dragon from a breeder who lives 5 hours away, and I’m almost completely clueless about transporting them.( I’m going to meet the breeder and pick out the beardie on the 20th, and then on the 21st I’m going to take him/her home. (I’ll be able to pick up anything extra I need before taking them home)

2.) how long should I leave them alone in the terrarium before I try to feed them?

And 3.) how many days/ hours should I wait before handling them? Some websites say 12 hours, so should I not feed them in the first 12 hours?

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for answering my questions!

Mj

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You could get a small pet carrier at the pet store or online. Most everything is cheaper online. You could put a soft fleece blanket to line the carrier & maybe a few of those heat packs for warming hands in the winter. I’m sure you can ask the breeder a few questions too. He might be able to sell you some live food for him.

I bought a big plastic storage tote from Target for like $5. It comes with a lid so I cut out a few air holes. I use it to hold my buddy when cleaning the cage or whatever. Toss in a blanket they can burrow into and they should do well on the trip home.

Have your setup ready and warm before hand. That way your lizard goes straight into a comfortable situation. I would just offer food at the times you had planned for your feeding schedule. May skip a meal or two but that’s ok. Mine ate little the first day, became a more aggressive eater the next, and then we started to find our stride.

I handled mine for a few minutes every day right from the start. You’ll probably pick up on their body language pretty fast. When they’re scared or don’t like something they show it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, a pet carrier would work for a larger dragon but not for a baby. It's actually easy to transport either adult or baby in a cardboard box or a plastic container from the size of a one quart up to a large 18 X 7 X 7 or similar size. If the weather is warm they will be fine at room temp. in the car, just don't crank the a.c. to make it too cold on the trip. EDIT ***** other poster beat me to it, same advice. I just use shredded newspaper in case there's a little accident, it can be thrown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom