How old is my baby bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edayy

Hello everyone.!
I just recently became a proud owner of my first beardie.! Its name is Mylo.! I got him at a petstore and I was wonder if you guys could tell me about his morphs or age? And anything about if my layout is good? It's a 20 gal tank with a 100w powersun.
100743-9030386437.jpg
100743-7780163972.jpg
100743-6482224213.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
have you weighed your little spikey baby ? it's weight is a reasonably good indicator of age.

some comments :

>>> the basking light ? …. is it an MVB ? what brand ?

>>> if it's not an MVB , what are you using to provide UVA and UVB ?

>>> see this for a guide : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Key points :
UVA & UVB at very high levels is MANDATORY for a bearded dragon.
UV source should be positioned UNDER the mesh lid, a fine mesh lid like you have will block more than 45% of the UV.
Aim for 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.
Aim for 1000 microW UVA / sq.cm at the basking spot.
At least 14-15 hours per day photoperiod.

>>> temperatures , no hotter than 40degC at the basking spot.

I see you have a dial type thermometer , theres are worthlessly inaccurate , better off tossing it inn the bin and buying a brace of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile-/222959498797?oid=391259141696

Edayy

Original Poster
I'm using a 100w Zoo Med Powersun so it's a all in one mercury bulb. And I haven't gotten the chance to weigh him.

Edayy

Original Poster
Can I just cut a hole where he basking spot is? And what's the recommended distance from the bulb to him? My temp gun gets in today so I'll be able to have a more accurate temperatures

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Edayy":1sg9o1db said:
Can I just cut a hole where he basking spot is? And what's the recommended distance from the bulb to him? My temp gun gets in today so I'll be able to have a more accurate temperatures

Cutting a hole to let the UV shine on the basking spot unimpeded is a good solution provided the UV source is the correct distance away .

I have already provided a link that will give you a guide on how to set up the thermal gradient, and UV gradients for your tank.

I strong suggest investing in an Arcadia 24W T5HO 12%UVB & a T5HO 24" reflector hood ASAP so you can provide UVA & UVB to your hatchling in more of the tank.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Edayy":1nkvg3ig said:
I'm using a 100w Zoo Med Powersun so it's a all in one mercury bulb. And I haven't gotten the chance to weigh him.

That's not a bad brand and an OK MVB....
according to the information on their site
zoomed_100w_mvb_ferguson_UVI_zones.png

zoomed_100w_mvb.png

their recommended distance to get "adequate UVA & UVB" and the correct temperature (presumeably) is 6" - 8" inches from the bottom surface of the MVB.

Would be good if they gave UVA and UVB flux vs distance as well as temperature vs distance.
Is very hard to fine tune both temperature & UV from a single source.

Very important to get a good ACCURATE digital thermometer so you can make sure you are NOT getting temperatures at the basking spot exceeding 40degC.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he looks to be about a 2 month old, although size can vary according to genetics + care given.

I've used Powersun with good results, although my babies usually got real sun at least 2-3X a week as well in a large blue kiddie pool. If you cut a hole in the scree the beardie can jump up + escape and/or get burned so I wouldn't do that. It would be good to mount a long tube bulb as was mentioned on the inside of the screen. But, if the dragon gets outside time you don't need to worry about the uvb situation at all. Here's how I set mine up outside as babies and as adults. Larger juveniles can escape from the pool so a screened or other wire enclosure becomes necessary. Sade must ALWAYS be available.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30017/full

Edayy

Original Poster
I have my cool side around 80 and the hot side at 95 and the basking spot is at 105ish

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Edayy":1dbkqxlv said:
I have my cool side around 80 and the hot side at 95 and the basking spot is at 105ish
I'd leave those be, only keep a close eye on the basking spot temperature if it's heatwave conditions, can very quickly become critically hot in a tank and result in a very ill dragon ,especially a hatchling who is much more susceptible to high and low temperatures than a full grown adult who has a lot of thermal mass and thermal inertia.

Exposure to natural sunlight is an excellent idea providing you can do this safely …. note lots of animals will see a little hatchling as tasty snack and they are very very easily spooked when outside and move like greased lightning when scared and on the run. A single hatchling is going to be safer taken outside in a lidless 100L tub … never leave it unattended while outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom