MBD recovery success info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy123

This thread was suggested by another user, for anyone looking for information regarding detecting, treating, and overall setup changes for bearded dragons with MBD. My young beardie had a slow appearance of symptoms, it didn't just happen overnight. First I noticed him sleeping A LOT, so much that I almost thought it was brumation (except he was too young for that). He soon started developing a strange lump on his lower back, between his back legs (turns out later that was a break in his back). His face wasn't elongating like normal beardie's, but unfortunately for me, he is my only beardie, so I had no other bearded dragon to compare him to in terms of growing properly... I also noticed that he was barely growing (he was only 9 and a half inches, at 7 and a half months old). All of a sudden his appetite plunged, and he barely ate. Nothing I did could get him to eat, and he started having trouble walking, he even had several strange "spasms", that seemed to be caused by nothing. It was all very scary and concerning. After a few days of seeing this, I decided it was time to go to a vet. Thankfully, we have a small animal hospital about 50 minutes away (they mostly see dogs/cats, but they also have plenty of people who deal with reptiles as well). We had the vet do x-rays, a blood test, and I believe another type of test (but at the moment I can't remember what). He was physically assessed as well. After a while of waiting for results to come back, the x-rays showed his bones were very thin (from not enough calcium), and his back had been broken. The blood test showed a dip in his calcium levels and a higher level of white blood cells (indicative of infection). So he was proscribed calcium gluconate, and an antibiotic for a highly suspected infection. He was very dehydrated, so I began giving him baths every day for him to drink and absorb water. His tank changes that I made was upgrading his T8 Reptisun 10% UVB output bulb to a Arcadia T5 UVB bulb with a reflector hood. Thankfully that was all that his tank needed to change. The vet was hopefully positive, but did stress that she has seen beardies with less symptoms then Mushu who died despite everything, and also seen beardies worse then Mushu recover wonderfully... But within one week, Mushu was already doing incredibly better! At his one week checkup, the vet was blown away by his progress. His appetite is back in full swing, and he is active and already growing again. I have since then added plenty of veggies (such as escarole, parsley, a little bit of kale, etc.), along with his bugs. After seeing him for his reassessment, the vet was so pleased with him that she said he didn't need to be seen again for another year unless he started exhibiting more symptoms. He will be continuing his calcium gluconate until its run out, but after that, he won't need more. :D
Before any treatment
94828-5132922595.jpg
After several weeks of treatment
94828-2958847936.jpg
He is up and about and back to his (almost) regular self... It's been a roller-coaster, but he's doing great now... I hope this helps some other beardie owners! I know that everyone else was so so helpful to me when this all started, so hopefully this experience can help others now. :blob8:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I responded on your other thread, too. :D Great story. Do you want me to move this thread
to the Health Forum for you for more exposure?

Tracie

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you for sharing this...I have had no experience with MBD, and I hope I never do! But I am grateful to people like you, who share what they experience, so others can be better educated. I hope and pray that your sweet Boy continues to be well!! One question: Were you using a reptisun 10? Because that is what I have been using, and have had no problems, but will change if it is needed...my boy is three and healthy. I change his reptisun 10 flourescent tube light every six months. Also, his food is dusted with a calcium/vit. D powder.

Thanks again for this important information.

Sassy123

Original Poster
sorry for not responding for so long, yes I was using a reptisun 10. I don't think you need to change it (especially i you've had it for that long with no issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom