My baby bearded dragons poop looks different

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boyfriend and I just bought a bearded dragon from petco 20 days ago and we are beginners. We love our little Zeus so much, but that also comes with a lot of worrying. So just recently I noticed his color beginning to dull and his tail beginning to pale a bit, so of course I googled it, and it said he was about to shed. Sure enough two days later he began too. But also I’ve noticed the morning after he began shedding that he had a bit of gunk in his left eye so I began looking for things to do to help. Right now we are using saline solution with chamomile tea packets soaked in a warm cloth followed by gently holding it against the gunky eye. I’ve also increased his Vitamin A by feeding him baby food squash because he was not eating his veggies or fruits so I replaced it with baby food and every once and a while I’ll give him some fresh fruit and veggies but I have to get him to hiss at me for him to actually eat it. Then a few days after feeding him the baby foods I’ve noticed that his poop is becoming less and less poop like. It’s more of his urates but if I pick it up once it just came out and it breaks apart In the toilet paper I notice that it is a light brown inside of the white covering. I’m not sure if this is because I’ve recently have been giving him baths to help with the shedding, giving him baby food, or if it has something to do with his gunky eye. Please help!

Pravana

You shouldn’t have to force feed and it sounds like the poop is odd because of the diet you are feeding. As for his eye, if it doesn’t get better in a couple days you should see a vet and get it checked out the little one may require medicine for it.

Fruit should only be given sparingly, it’s not a staple food. Bearded dragons should be offered mostly leafy greens like Mustard Greens and Collard Greens. I also give Kale, Carrots and Cabbage occasionally as well. 2-3 times a week lightly dust with Calcium powder but do your research before you get just any powder. Another staple you should give daily is dubia’s the rule of thumb is no bigger than the space between their eyes. Growing babies need the creepy crawlies more than when they are adults because they are still growing so it’s very important that you are providing these daily. If roaches are not your thing you can also give crickets. I give mealworms a few times a week to my smaller guys and switch over to superworms once they are bigger. You should give them their buggies two to three times a day, I personally leave veggies on the cool side and remove them at the end of the day or change them out if they dry out before then but once they have eaten I don’t offer a full portion if I add more fresh ones. My beardies started chowing down on veggies at around 3 months but weren’t too interested before that even still I always offered them.

If the poops stay runny or strange you will need to go for a vet visit and get a checkup and poop tested for parasites.

KaylaHuffman00

Original Poster
The only reason we have to force feed him is because he absolutely isn’t interested in the fruites or veggies unless he actually taste them in his mouth, that’s why we get him to hiss, so we can place the food in his mouth and then he will chew it up and eat it. But if we just place it in a bowl In his cage he’s not interested at all. We’ve even tried putting two mealworms mixed in with the veggies and fruits but he just picked them out. And we also give him around 8 crickets twice a day Sometimes more if he absolutely won’t take his veggies or fruites. Do you think his poop is this way because of us giving him his fruites and vegetables through baby food?

Pravana

KaylaHuffman00":ncx90z5c said:
The only reason we have to force feed him is because he absolutely isn’t interested in the fruites or veggies unless he actually taste them in his mouth, that’s why we get him to hiss, so we can place the food in his mouth and then he will chew it up and eat it. But if we just place it in a bowl In his cage he’s not interested at all. We’ve even tried putting two mealworms mixed in with the veggies and fruits but he just picked them out. And we also give him around 8 crickets twice a day Sometimes more if he absolutely won’t take his veggies or fruites. Do you think his poop is this way because of us giving him his fruites and vegetables through baby food?

I wouldn’t worry too much if he’s not interested in the fruits or veggies yet as they don’t care for them much when they are very little. As for the poop it’s either because of the fruit sometimes food does funny things to their poop or it is possible it’s because of parasites but you won’t know until you get the poops tested at the vet. It’s good that he’s eating the crickets and mealworms though, so it seems to me like he’s still too little to want veggies but you should still offer them force feeding isn’t necessary. Fruit isn’t something you should give every day it’s more of a treat once in a while, once they are interested in it.

KaylaHuffman00

Original Poster
Oh okay I get what you’re saying. I thought you had to feed fruites with veggies everyday to keep a well balanced diet. That’s probanaly why his poop is looking different because he actually eats a little of the fruites baby food with the squash. I’ll just cut down on the fruites for about two days and keep an eye on his poop, if nothing changed I will take him to the vet! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom