Beardie not eating, not active

Status
Not open for further replies.

moriarty88

I have had my bearded dragon for about 7 months. No health issues previously. Recently he has stopped eating nearly as many dubia as he used to (just a couple a day) and does not bask (at least when I check). I did make a change to his tank decor, and then a few days later his mercury vapor bulb did go out. For UVB I replaced with a reptisun 10.0 strip light. This has been going on for a few weeks now and I am getting worried. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I should do?

Thanks for your help.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Is the uvb T5 or T8 and what kind of fixture are you using?
How close can he get to it?
Is there any screen or plastic lens between your beardie and uvb?

moriarty88

Original Poster
It is T8, it is inside his enclosure and it is bare, so there is nothing filtering it. It is maybe 10 inches from the bottom of the tank.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
For a T8 it is ideal for them to be able to get within 6 inches from the top of their head. A varying degree is best to they can choose how close they need to be. Are you using a reflector? What are you using for a heat source now and what is the basking/cool side temps?

moriarty88

Original Poster
He can get up to an inch away if he climbs his branch. No reflector. Have a large spotlight for heat. Temps are all in line.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Do you think he has lost any weight at all? You can use one of those digital kitchen scales if you have one. Has he drank any water? Since he hasn't eaten much in a few weeks I would try to get him to drink if he hasn't. If your habitat seems ok I think the next step would be checking for parasites. Have you tried crickets or phoenix worms or superworms? Any veggies?

moriarty88

Original Poster
I have not been weighing him. I do give him weekly baths, and I provide veggies every day. Cucumbers, greens, kale, carrots, etc. but he has never really eaten much veg even though I keep providing them.

I will start keep track of his weight. I do not have easy access to any other foods, but I might see if petsmart has any superworms that I could pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom