Does you Bearded Dragon do this too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydra is about 7-8 months old. Everytime I carry him and try to put him on my shoulder he doesn’t really try to hold on using his nails. It’s as if he expects me to carry him like a baby? he would put both of his hands down like he was holding his belly or something. Is that a normal behavior for him? Are there any bearded dragons that do the same as my Hydra?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yep, Very normal for beardies so you always need to keep at least one or both hands on him at all times when he's on your shoulder/torso Etc.

My beardie Cisco does this all the time and I'm pretty sure it means that they trust you enough to not hold on too tightly (but I'm not entirely certain). and Actually as I Was typing this Loki (Another one of my beardies) was doing the exact same thing you described while he was asleep on me. :)

-HippieLizards.

ChiRider

Huh...my daughters beardie DEFINITELY uses his claws on my shoulders. And hanging out on my shoulder is one of his favorite places. I’ve just learned to live with a little pain.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please don't make a habit of allowing your dragon to go onto your shoulders …. ONLY time the dragon should be allowed to go there is when you are seated (on the grass, on the bed, on the carpet (not on hard floors) or on the sofa - if the dragon slips off or rolls off , and you are standing and it lands on a hard unforgiving surface this will injure the dragon very badly.

MomofHydraandScylla

Original Poster
ChiRider":1vkqvhhu said:
Huh...my daughters beardie DEFINITELY uses his claws on my shoulders. And hanging out on my shoulder is one of his favorite places. I’ve just learned to live with a little pain.

I know about that pain you’re talking about? I have scratches in my arms. Hydra and Scylla sometimes likes to climb in my arms, specially when there’s too much people who wants to hold them. They try to hold on to mommy?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yep, When I'm dealing with a skittish beardie It looks like I've Been attacked by a Panther. :lol:

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
My boy is only like that if he's tired or not feeling well. Otherwise he generally has a strong grip on me and will keep moving until he feels secure. My old girl has always been very relaxed that way though so it can go either way with them. I'd definitely take Kingofnobbys advice and keep a hand on your baby to prevent any slips.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Yes, Me too. I Always have a hand or two on my beardies when they're on my shoulders (or I at least try to).

ChiRider

kingofnobbys":am85nyf6 said:
Please don't make a habit of allowing your dragon to go onto your shoulders …. ONLY time the dragon should be allowed to go there is when you are seated (on the grass, on the bed, on the carpet (not on hard floors) or on the sofa - if the dragon slips off or rolls off , and you are standing and it lands on a hard unforgiving surface this will injure the dragon very badly.

Agreed...100%. He just climbs there whenever I’m on the couch and he’s out :)

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
My girl does that all the time. I always thought of it as “Mommy got me” kind of trust. Only time she seems to cling is if we are outside and she sees something that scares her (like a bird or my sons helicopter) or if strange people come around. Those times she scoots herself up under my chin hides her face and clings. I always have one hand on her when she is on me. She thinks she has wings sometimes or will fall so fast asleep she would fall off.

MomofHydraandScylla

Original Poster
They are so cute aren’t they.when I have Hydra he will put one claw on and that’s it??‍♀️ He knows when I’m the one holding him he doesn’t need to hold on. Scylla is the one that likes to go all the way up to my neck and try to scratch a bit to find a good spot. We rarely put them on our shoulder coz we’re scared of them falling. So we always carry them with one hand. Maybe, that’s why they got used to it?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Lorilyn":33qksh7v said:
My girl does that all the time. I always thought of it as “Mommy got me” kind of trust. Only time she seems to cling is if we are outside and she sees something that scares her (like a bird or my sons helicopter) or if strange people come around. Those times she scoots herself up under my chin hides her face and clings. I always have one hand on her when she is on me. She thinks she has wings sometimes or will fall so fast asleep she would fall off.
Lol you just totally described Loki with always being super clingy, Daisy and Cisco act as if they have wings because they will sometimes see a place they want to go to, They try to fly to it. :roll: They are quite crazy sometimes. :roll:

MomofHydraandScylla":33qksh7v said:
They are so cute aren’t they.when I have Hydra he will put one claw on and that’s it??‍♀️ He knows when I’m the one holding him he doesn’t need to hold on. Scylla is the one that likes to go all the way up to my neck and try to scratch a bit to find a good spot. We rarely put them on our shoulder coz we’re scared of them falling. So we always carry them with one hand. Maybe, that’s why they got used to it?
Yeah, Loki and will always go up into my neck, But they sit on my shoulder a lot but I Always have a hand on them. But Cisco prefers to be held by hanging onto my arm with her head on my hand and the rest of her body going up my arm Lol. and Daisy will immediately run up onto either my shoulder or climb onto my back with her head buried into my hair Lol. :roll: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom