Update on my Beardie. Also questions about dusting crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ztesch

Hey I just wanted to post a update since I havent been on the boards in awhile. So I was having problems feeding crickets to "Ora," so I took your guys advice and bought phoenix worms from Symtom Black Fly Larvae. Anyways they were fairly priced and Ora loves them. After feeding her that for 2 1/2 weeks I noticed she was alot more food aggressive so I tried crickets again. Man she has been destroying them. I bought 5 dozen on Monday and she has been taking done roughly 40 crix a day. I have been dusting the crix with the zoomed calcium powder with d3. My question to you all is should I be dusting everyday? ( From all the research I have done everyone differs) Also are there any other supplemments I should be adding in there. I have some other vitamins that I have in a small dish but she never touches them.
98841-5178727219.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. 5x a week with calcium and 2x a week vitamins. Just lightly dust the feeders one meal a day. I use bee pollon instead of vitamins. That is safe to use every day.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hello!

You have a nice setup for Ora - I appreciate seeing the paper towel substrate! Always a good thing.

As far as dusting goes .... I think lots is people have different views on that matter. Me, personally, I don’t worry so much about the dusting as I do the content of the feeder itself -
Some are so high I calcium (like the Phoenix/Repti worms and a few others such as butter worms - If I am using those I don’t calcium dust. The calcium content is just so naturally high with certain feeders. Also, if your dragon does eat greens, some of those re very high in calcium too, such as collards, mustard greens and Swiss chard (among others) have blasts of calcium in them as well.

When my girl was a baby/juvie I did pay more attention to calcium dusting - she is 8 years old now, and I don’t dust the way I used to 6 or 7 years ago. If they Are eating well, and they are eating feeders/greens with high calcium content - I would dust here and there - but wouldnt worry about a strict dusting schedule. And, if Ora has a good UV bulb with good basking temps, she is going to be able to process that calcium in her body very well!

So that’s my take on dusting. Some people might not agree, and some might, it’s just those topics that people have different views on. If Ora is a young dragon, or a growing juvie dragon, by all means dust away.

I guess why I’m saying is - that I feel - the calcium and vitamin content of the food itself is most important. I hope that makes some sense ....
if you are back to using crickets, then I yes I would be more apt to dust them.
He old is Ora by the way? Age can make a difference too on feeders as well .... hope to hear back from you.
- Emily ?

Ztesch

Original Poster
destiny1998":2kwvm879 said:
Hi. 5x a week with calcium and 2x a week vitamins. Just lightly dust the feeders one meal a day. I use bee pollon instead of vitamins. That is safe to use every day.
Ok I will have to go out and buy some bee pollen. Where did you buy yours at?

Ztesch

Original Poster
blue11":29btbifc said:
Hello!

You have a nice setup for Ora - I appreciate seeing the paper towel substrate! Always a good thing.

As far as dusting goes .... I think lots is people have different views on that matter. Me, personally, I don’t worry so much about the dusting as I do the content of the feeder itself -
Some are so high I calcium (like the Phoenix/Repti worms and a few others such as butter worms - If I am using those I don’t calcium dust. The calcium content is just so naturally high with certain feeders. Also, if your dragon does eat greens, some of those re very high in calcium too, such as collards, mustard greens and Swiss chard (among others) have blasts of calcium in them as well.

When my girl was a baby/juvie I did pay more attention to calcium dusting - she is 8 years old now, and I don’t dust the way I used to 6 or 7 years ago. If they Are eating well, and they are eating feeders/greens with high calcium content - I would dust here and there - but wouldnt worry about a strict dusting schedule. And, if Ora has a good UV bulb with good basking temps, she is going to be able to process that calcium in her body very well!

So that’s my take on dusting. Some people might not agree, and some might, it’s just those topics that people have different views on. If Ora is a young dragon, or a growing juvie dragon, by all means dust away.

I guess why I’m saying is - that I feel - the calcium and vitamin content of the food itself is most important. I hope that makes some sense ....
if you are back to using crickets, then I yes I would be more apt to dust them.
He old is Ora by the way? Age can make a difference too on feeders as well .... hope to hear back from you.
- Emily ?

Thank you for your insight. As for the age of Ora I'm not entirely sure ?. I bought her at pet co and they said she was a few months old but I'm assuming they were just guessing. Anyways I would say she is a Juvinile and probably around 50g and 13 inches long. (I have to go out and buy a proper scale) so far she hasnt really been eating too many greens from what I can tell but she loves crickets and all worms. So I will continue to lighly dust maybe 5x a week as the above poster stated and go from there. Yes the lighting is a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 t-8 flourescent bulb with a zoo med light fixture which I know isnt as good as the the t-5 but works inside the cage at a 6 to 8 inch range so I should be ok there. She has been pooping regularly and shedding every 1 to 2 weeks since I got her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom