Taking my girl to school on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm a sophomore in high school, and I have a beardie I got back in August, she was a baby then, but now she's around ten months old. She's very take and very sweet. Currently, we're in finals week, which means school hours are 8:15 to 12:40. We'll have 30 minute classes, and then we walk down to a field and have a barbecue, since it's the last day of school. I was wondering if it would be alright if I brought Dar to school with me, and kept her under a bunch of layers of my own hoodie. She could just hide in there, some people would probably pet her, and she could be out when we're indoors. She isn't a fan of the outdoors through. She tends to just freeze up and sit there stiffly. I'm hoping to break her out of that habit so I could take her places. I'm worried about the noise at school, I'm worried about her staying warm, and I'm worrying about her having a heart attack or something. When she's been out of her cage for a long time, she'll just squeeze into a tight space and lay flat, signalling she's done playing. I don't want to push her too far out of her comfort zone.

So should I take her out, and if so, what safety measures should I take?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
That would be pretty irresponsible to take a beardie or really any pet to a place without a tank for such long hours. It will be quite stressful for her, she could get lost, hurt, or even worse she could potentially die.

I really would not risk it. You need to remind yourself that she is not something you can just haul around wherever you please for your enjoyment. She is a living breathing thing that has needs and those needs can not be met by taking her around like that.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
Whoof, coming in hot. Sorry for asking, just figured I ought to ask someone before I acted. Didn't mean to objectify my lizard by asking for advice and input. Thanks for the input, sorry for inconveniencing you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she isn't a big fan of outdoors yet then I would work up to it in smaller doses. Try bringing her out in your yard to sit on your lap for a few minutes and see how that goes. Then try longer if she's OK with it. Then try sitting on the grass with her and see how that goes, etc. If she still seems stressed, then she is probably just an indoor dragon and that's OK. Going full on into a new place for a long time with a lot of people might be pretty stressful to her. If you do bring her places, a soft sided pet carrier is a good idea to have. That way she has an enclosed space she can retreat to that is easy to carry around with you.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
Yeah, every so often we sit outside when it's sunny, and she just kinda freezes. I don't want her to get too stressed. I also should wait until she's older to really take her anywhere, since she's young she's more sensitive to diseases and stuff. Thank you for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom