My beardie is scared of me, should I sell him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRyse

So when I got Steve from the shop about 1 and a half months ago he seemed very chilled out.
I knew he would be stressed when I brought him home so I gave him time to chill out.
Nearly every time I try to touch him or do anything he will look scared and run away.
He also has stress marks a lot which I really don’t like to see so I don’t know what I should do.
He lets me feed him good and his viv is set up correctly so I need some help on whether to sell him to someone who he may like more or not.
Let me know what you guys think!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If you sell him he'll honestly become more stressed out from another new environment. He just needs to get used to you, with some beardies it can take a day or less but with others, it can take months or even years before they are finally okay with you. Just takes time.

Most of my beardies calmed down within a week at the very most of having them, but some of my other reptiles such as my leopard gecko and blue tongue skink took forever. The leopard gecko is still calming down even after having her for 8 months but she's at the point where she can be handled somewhat regularly without stressing her out.
Now the Blue tongue skink, on the other hand, will most likely take years for me to get her to a point where she'll be fine with me. Which thats perfectly okay, I love her either way.
I've had her since August of 2017 and she still is very scared of me but I know eventually she'll warm up to me. But again perfectly fine with her just being a pet that I can enjoy from afar.

Now both of those two species can also calm down within just a few weeks of having them as well so It really depends on the individual.

Take it slow, he should warm up to you eventually.
Put a shirt that you own in his tank so he can get used to your scent.
Try softly talking to him, putting your hand in the tank occasionally and letting him on his own come up to you would be good too.

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
a good way to get a shy beardie used to you is to wear an old, clean shirt for about 24 hours, then cut off a sleeve of other large piece and place it on your beardies basking spot so he's forced to be on it. this will get him/her used to your scent in a non threatening manner and on your beardies terms

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Of it makes you feel any better - my girl was very timid and jumpy around me nanny hand - especially for the for the first 2 - 3 months I had her. Now,8 years later, she is hand fed (and loves it that way!) and she is my best bud, lovesto chill outside with me, loves a good bath, and is always on my shoulder or chest - and the best for last - does the beardie butt wiggle on me and drifts off to sleep. Stay persistent but know when to give them their space. I would say most beardies always tend to come around and end up loving being round their human besties. It just takes alittle time and a lot of delicate consistency - usually before you know it, that skittish little dragon is soon a big, chubby, love bug!!! Trust is the key, and it will probably work out wonderfully for you and your beardie! Ther always exceptions to this rule of thumb - but they really are gentle and trusting souls once they feel we are worthy ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom