Hanging out on top of light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrAshlie

My guy is hanging out on top of his uv bulb fixture at the top of his cage. He is up there 90% of the time, and I’m worried he’s not getting much of the uv he needs. He also doesn’t have much of an appetite, but he has never really had one since we got him as a babe in November. He eats a couple roaches/worms a day if we are lucky. And if I didn’t bring him down from the fixture everyday I’m not sure he’s eat at all. His poop seems normal. Poops maybe once a week. Trying to upload a picture but can’t seem to figure it out at the moment...

Vh621

Hatchling Member
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Hello, to post a picture just click the link upload a picture then hit XIMG. As far as your beardie hanging out on his light fixture it could be a setup issue. What kind of lights do you have, what are your temps and how are you measuring them, are the lights inside the tank or on top, is there a screen?

ThrAshlie

Original Poster
96196-107955970.jpg
96196-9387747575.jpg
Thanks!
I have all the right lights, reptisun10 basking bulbs 100-110* measured by a couple different thermometers. I was worried a while back about his lack of appetite and asked here, so I know I’m good with the cage setup. I thought maybe brumation but he is never really asleep, if I open the cage he looks at me right away, doesn’t take much to get his attention. I just don’t know!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Contrary to common opinion, UVB fluorescent tubes (and UVB compact globes) do create some heat, he has found a nice warm place ontop of the hood , I'd check the temperature the top of the hood , if under 40 degC , it's not an issue (unless he falls off).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThrAshlie":2xnv7qrm said:
96196-107955970.jpg
96196-9387747575.jpg
Thanks!
I have all the right lights, reptisun10 basking bulbs 100-110* measured by a couple different thermometers.
<<< too hot , no hotter than 40 degC for any dragon see this for why : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

I was worried a while back about his lack of appetite and asked here, so I know I’m good with the cage setup. I thought maybe brumation but he is never really asleep, if I open the cage he looks at me right away, doesn’t take much to get his attention. I just don’t know!

ThrAshlie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3lbwfwte said:
ThrAshlie":3lbwfwte said:
96196-107955970.jpg
96196-9387747575.jpg
Thanks!
I have all the right lights, reptisun10 basking bulbs 100-110* measured by a couple different thermometers.
<<< too hot , no hotter than 40 degC for any dragon see this for why : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

I was worried a while back about his lack of appetite and asked here, so I know I’m good with the cage setup. I thought maybe brumation but he is never really asleep, if I open the cage he looks at me right away, doesn’t take much to get his attention. I just don’t know!

He is still a juvenile so I thought these temps were good? The fixture isn’t hot to the touch, luke warm at best. He also stays there all night so I’m not sure he’s there for the heat, but who knows. Only thing I’m concerned about, really, is he isn’t under the bulb so he’s not getting any rays.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ThrAshlie":3hht9vkm said:
kingofnobbys":3hht9vkm said:
ThrAshlie":3hht9vkm said:
96196-107955970.jpg
96196-9387747575.jpg
Thanks!

He is still a juvenile so I thought these temps were good? The fixture isn’t hot to the touch, luke warm at best. He also stays there all night so I’m not sure he’s there for the heat, but who knows. Only thing I’m concerned about, really, is he isn’t under the bulb so he’s not getting any rays.

I don't know where this myth that hatchlings can tolerate / need higher temperatures than older juvenile and adult dragons originated , being smaller body masses they are physically less able to hold stable body temperatures and are actually more prone to heat stoke than adults who are protected by they higher body mass (takes longer for their bodies to heat up).
My hatchlings have all thrived with basking spots between 37 degC and 40 degC .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom