Ant problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgu

OK SO!
Last year I had my beardie Teto in the middle of the two windows in my room, once summer came along these ants with wings that were a tad bit too big to be gnats started popping up. We didn't think to much of it until one night I came home and the tank was infested with them because they were after the UV lamp. :angry5: We took Teto out and cleaned everything and had some problem with them for a while but not much. Once we had the chance we moved Teto to the other side of my room so she wasn't next to the window. Now again I am starting to get these ants and shes still on the other side of the room. Does anyone else have this problem or is it something that I have to deal with because of where I live?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where is your location? That cannot be good.
You can try cinnamon oil, oil of oregano or oil of basil, mint oil, around the window or where they
are coming in at, to see if that helps to ward them off. What kind of tank do you have your dragon
in, a wooden or glass type?

Tracie

Tgu

Original Poster
Drache613":3fcdm2cg said:
Hello,

Where is your location? That cannot be good.
You can try cinnamon oil, oil of oregano or oil of basil, mint oil, around the window or where they
are coming in at, to see if that helps to ward them off. What kind of tank do you have your dragon
in, a wooden or glass type?

Tracie
Sadly they are comming through the window . And i have a glass tank. I didnt even knkw theres wooden

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Flying through the flyscreen ?

If they are close the window. The ones in the tank will not last long in the heat without somewhere to nest.

Be thankful they are not swarming crawling ants , only non-toxic (to the dragon) dealing with them is replacement of the substrate , steam, and then a Fluon film painted where the ants are trailing.

Tgu

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":35o2ukzn said:
Flying through the flyscreen ?

If they are close the window. The ones in the tank will not last long in the heat without somewhere to nest.

Be thankful they are not swarming crawling ants , only non-toxic (to the dragon) dealing with them is replacement of the substrate , steam, and then a Fluon film painted where the ants are trailing.

No they go threw both the screen AND my closed window. They haven't swarmed yet this year so I'm good. It's going to be the hottest part of the day soon so let's see if they still come in.

CliffsMom

I don't know where you live, but your best bet is a *real* bed net, made for protecting people who live in tropical climates from malaria-infected mosquitos. They take those nets very seriously. If you can make it so the net wouldn't touch his lamps, you could put it right around his tank and tuck the edges underneath. Or you can glue it around the window. I would take a physical barrier over a chemical one any day of the week (I mean any chemical, oils or otherwise). You can't see if the oil has evaporated or if you missed a spot or if it needs redoing, etc. And you'd have to test it out & potentially expose him again. Poke around online and see what you can find in terms of mosquito nets.

I'd be worried about putting those essential oils too near him. Those ones bother ants because the plants protect themselves with it - it's poisonous to them & condensed the way they are it could be poisonous to a lizard or caustic to their scales. I know birds are VERY sensitive to smells and their respiratory systems are very similar. A few feet away from him on the window would probably be safe.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i had this issue last year, ants came in some where but not sur where they were coming from, they were getting into teh kitchen (a trail of htem). came home one day to find sindragosa sitting int he kitchen licking up one ant at a time from the floor... idk how many she ate but id have to guess well over 100

PriscillaRose

Well, I know getting rid of ants from your home is a little difficult job to do, especially if you are not sure of the type of ants invading your home. You can use borax to get rid of them, you may also sprinkle some cinnamon or chili pepper into the hole or crevice. If these DIY methods does not work, then you should surely go for the pest control services. Last month, when I was also dealing with similar issues, I had hired a pest control East Bay CA team by searching them from local directory, where they had professionally exterminated the ants from its source.
If you want, you can get in contact with your local extermination services who can able to exterminate these ants for ever.

Tgu

Original Poster
PriscillaRose":1ydx1r4h said:
Well, I know getting rid of ants from your home is a little difficult job to do, especially if you are not sure of the type of ants invading your home. You can use borax to get rid of them, you may also sprinkle some cinnamon or chili pepper into the hole or crevice. If these DIY methods does not work, then you should surely go for the pest control services. Last month, when I was also dealing with similar issues, I had hired a pest control East Bay CA team by searching them from local directory, where they had professionally exterminated the ants from its source.
If you want, you can get in contact with your local extermination services who can able to exterminate these ants for ever.

Thank you for the ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom