Taking Beardies Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello~
The weather here lately has been gorgeous, and not humid either, so I went out and purchased a harness & leash for Pancake so I can take him outside. But I have a few questions before doing so,

1. I live near farm fields, and they spray pesticides during certain months. Once they begin using the fields again should I refrain from taking Pancake outside on my property? Or would he be safe to go in my front yard where he's furthest away from the fields?

2. Would it be alright for a bearded dragon to be placed onto the grass, or is it better off for him to just sit on my lap or on the deck?

Thanks in advance! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm surrounded by fields in Iowa too. Outside time isn't a problem when the farms are active. I try not to let them eat outside bugs in case they've been feeding on plants that have been sprayed. Time in the grass is fine too as long as it hasn't been sprayed. Just stay close by and keep an eye out for hawks and eagles which could attack quickly if he's left undefended.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ntron94 said:
Just stay close by and keep an eye out for hawks and eagles which could attack quickly if he's left undefended.

I'm glad to hear being near farm fields won't be an issue! Approximately how close should I be? My intention was to be within 1 or 2 feet of my beardie/follow him around as he's walking.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be fine. That's about how close I usually stay to my dragon when we're outside if he's not in my lap. Just be aware of the dangers (the benefit of outside time and natural light outweighs the risk in my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom