Help!! New Beardie not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ztesch

98841-7502449327.jpg
Hey everyone! Im new to the boards. I just bought my first Beardie on Saturday. I got him from Pet Co, I know not ideal but they had the size I wanted at a descent enough price. Anyways the Beardie I bought was the more timid of the 3 available and now he's barely eating anything in my care. I have seen him eat a few times in the 2 full days I have had him. Is this normal? I know you need to let your pets get acclimated to their new surroundings. I have a zoomed reptisun 10.0 bulb and a 75 watt basking lightbulb in a 40 gallon tank. Heres pictures.
98841-9789937636.jpg
98841-5788385514.jpg

Ztesch

Original Poster
I have been trying to feed with medium crickets. I also tried meal worms. The crickets literally walk all over this dude and he wont eat them.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He more than likely has relocation stress. That can last a week or two. Also is the uvb a coil or compact or long tube? I'd stop feeding mealtime those cause impaction. Crickets are good as long as they are no bigger than the space between the eyes. Phoenix worms, Silk worms and Dubai roaches are all excellent feeders.

Ztesch

Original Poster
destiny1998":115mgnrn said:
Hi. He more than likely has relocation stress. That can last a week or two. Also is the uvb a coil or compact or long tube? I'd stop feeding mealtime those cause impaction. Crickets are good as long as they are no bigger than the space between the eyes. Phoenix worms, Silk worms and Dubai roaches are all excellent feeders.

Its a compact bulb. So those are total garbage for a 40 gallon vivarium? Also I was just offering the mealworm to see if it would take it.

Ztesch

Original Poster
Also for a 40 gallon viv what would be a appropriate size reptisun flourescent bulb. They have 18, 24 and 34 inch bulbs. If I have to spend a lil more to get the proper lighting thats fine. However if this guy continues to not eat for a couple more days should I return him for a Beardie that has bit more of an appetite?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I would get a reptisun 10.0 24 t5. I would just be patient and get the better uvb and see if his appetite improves which it should.

Ztesch

Original Poster
Ok. Do you have any examples of how you have your lighting? For example, I put the basking light one side and then run the UV-b to the left of that light. Does it matter if the uvb is going into the cooler side of the vivarium. Sorry for all the questions I just want to get all this down.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You want the UVB light to be as close to the basking lights as possible. That way the brightest white light, highest heat, and most intense UVB are reaching the basking area while leaving other areas of the tank cooler with less (or no) UVB exposure which will provide a gradient and options. Your dragon will move around during the course of the day to get the amount of light they want at any given time.

Ztesch

Original Poster
Ok well I'm gonna go out and see if I can find a reptisun 10.0 24 inch bulb. If I cant find that will the 18 inch suffice? Im planning on placing the bulb on the inside of the terrarium.

Ztesch

Original Poster
I picked up a 24 inch 10.0 T-8. However It took awhile to find so I was only able to go to Home Depot and they didnt have the correct fixture. I'm planning on checking Wal-Mart and menards tomorrow. Any ideas?

Ztesch

Original Poster
On a side note I covered the back and the sides with cardboard as a temporary fix and almost instantly Oscar started getting a little food aggressive. So I tried a cricket to no avail, that didnt work so I threw in a meal worm and he crushed it. I threw in a couple more because this is the first time I have seen him in eat in the 4 days I had him. I know they arent the best for him so I picked up some waxworms while I was at the pet shop and he ate about 5 of those. However I havent seen him eat any veggies and he tends to want to sit there and stare at his reflection in the front of the enclosure. I will throw up a pic how do I upload pics?
98841-1436008336.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The T8 is lower output so you'll want a fixture with a reflector and it needs to be 6-8'' above the basking area to be effective. It's tough to find a good fixture for the 24'' T8. Zilla makes one that has a good reflector but it's designed to sit on top of a tank so it may take some creativity to suspend it inside a tank. You might be able to suspend it using picture wire and hooks or something similar though. https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-08616-Desert-Fixture-24-Inch/dp/B004CT2OTA

Ztesch

Original Poster
Ok well I may have my work cut out for me looking for a fixture then. I may have to scowell the bowels of the internet to find one but I will find one.... Anyways I was planning on using those 3m hooks to hook it on. How far down should I put it. Like 3 inches from the top. Its 18 inches in height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom