Dragon on the small size and am I caring for him right

Status
Not open for further replies.
98508-8865370261.jpg
Here's a pic of my boy. I adopted him about 2 weeks ago now. And thought he looked small they said he was a she and was 22months old. Since having him I've added more to his viv. I'll list his set up
.... 3 ft viv (ordered a 4ft×2×2 and awaiting delivery)
.... has a reptisun 10%uv strip light at 30inches long and is about 10cms from him. He does try to jump on it sometimes.
.... has a 75watt basking bulb on top of his basking log and that is closer to him than the uv.
... temps are 34 to 36 degrees Celsius on the warm side floor. Basking spot is 38degrees to 41degrees. Cool side is 27 to 30 degrees Celsius.
... feed on greens daily. Also apple or strawberry or tomatoes every other day. Dusted in multivitamins which is alternated between the calcium on the locust.
.... fed 6 to 8 locust daily dusted in calcium.
.... basks well and is very active both in the viv and out.
.... going to toilet like clock work daily with no issues.
... substrate is wood chipping and carpet trying to change to carpet for him as read of impaction.
All this is what I have done since having him when I had him This is what he had. One basking log and all wood chipping. The basking spot was only getting to 36degrees Celsius and warm side was only 30degrees Celsius. They feed him on morio worms daily and only had multivitiams to dust in water they said they fed him mixed salad leaves and tomatoes and strawberries daiky. He seemed loved and looked after. Was dark in colouring but as he's my first beardie thought stress.

Well measured him and he's 18cms from nose to tip of tale. Is this small for a 22month male?

I've looked for obvious signs of illness there is no crook in his tale his gums are healthy and his skin and feet are fine. No swelling no lumps no off colour. He does look like he is going into a shed. Just worried the lack of calcium dusting and variation of diet and low basking heat may of affected his growth also the small viv?

Any way could he just be on the small side or shall I keep extra close eye on him. He seems active and happy and loves attention and is quite the character. And does it sound like I'm doing right for him by his viv and care. Many thanks in advance and sorry for long post he's my first beardie and even though I researched some times it's still a minefield of am I doing this right.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks healthy in that photo. I would probably replace tomato in his diet with something else. Squash is usually popular with them. At 22mo he is an adult and probably pretty much fully grown. He is only 18cm from nose to tail tip? That is quite small. An adult should be more around 45cm in length. How much does he weigh? As I mentioned he looks healthy so that's good.

When you upgrade the tank you may want to consider moving to a T5 UVB light. The T8 is weaker so even at the appropriate distance (you have it close enough now) it isn't providing as much UVB as a T5 would which is more like natural sunlight. A T5 with a reflector should sit about 30cm above the basking area. It's good that you are replacing the wood chips. Loose substrate can be tough to keep clean and sanitary. The reptile carpet is decent but can be a pain to clean. It requires frequent washes which tends to wear them out quickly. If you go with it I would have a couple of sets so you can swap them out while the other is cleaning. You could also use something solid like non adhesive shelf liner which can be wiped down and sanitized or cheaply replaced.

Newtothisbeardie

Original Poster
I shall look into the the t5 the weekend and a reflector. I'm not sure on his weight. I'm looking for a reptile vet close to me with good reviews. I'm even wondering if he is younger than what they have said. He's going into a shed now. I contacted one vet but they wernt reptile vets so didn't know best to advise me . I've taken the tomatoes and will grab him squash tomorrow. Do I just cut it and put it in his bowl? Or is there a way to prepare it? Also ordered in some dandelion leaves online for him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can use a simple kitchen scale to measure his weight (grams work best) and keep track in a spreadsheet. It's helpful to see how his weight is trending over time. Usually want to see it be steady or increasing rather than a decrease over time. It's good to find an experienced reptile vet if you can to establish a relationship and get some baseline readings done in a wellness exam. For squash, I usually cut it into small worm shapes and put it on top of a salad (the dandelion greens are good too).

76248-9983280538.jpg

Newtothisbeardie

Original Poster
I'll get the scales tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe he is younger than they said to be honest. I seen a friend's adult beardie today and he is so small compared. But he's in proportion. I'm still looking for a reptile vet but have found a normal vets that have minimal experience with reptiles so I might take him there just for a decal test to make sure he's health inside aswell as outside.

I didn't think of cutting things that way I might do that with his salad aswell. The dandelion leaves came today and he eat quite a bit. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a picture again. So bare with me

Newtothisbeardie

Original Poster
98508-2480852530.jpg

I got a photo from this angle and he seems to look younger than other beardies I've seen the age he was meant to be. Suppose time will tell if he gets bigger or not.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He has the angular head of an adult rather than a rounded head like a young dragon would have. It's possible he is younger though. If that's the case you'll just see him grow more over time. He looks pretty happy and healthy either way =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom