Isn’t my “bearded dragon” too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimreaperr

DdjkxkdkwkkskskxkskkdkdksoosososoxkxkkdjdjdjdjdjdkskskskkskdkdkdkdkdldldldkdDdjkxkdkwkkskskxkskkdkdksoosososoxkxkkdjdjdjdjdjdkskskskkskdkdkdkdkdldldldkdDdjkxkdkwkkskskxkskkdkdksoosososoxkxkkdjdjdjdjdjdkskskskkskdkdkdkdkdldldldkdDdjkxkdkwkkskskxkskkdkdksoosososoxkxkkdjdjdjdjdjdkskskskkskdkdkdkdkdldldldkdDdjkxkdkwkkskskxkskkdkdksoosososoxkxkkdjdjdjdjdjdkskskskkskdkdkdkdkdldldldkd

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Looks like a normal 8 month old dragon to me, maybe just a dot on the small side... how long was it when you got it and how long is it now (head to tail).
They generally don't reach their full size until 2 years of age.

Its definitely a central bearded dragon, theres about 8 other species of bearded dragons and only one more out of those 8 others are in the US, that being the rankins/lawsons dragon and yours is definitely not that.

Can you please post a picture of the full setup?

Its diet is pretty bad so you need to fix that, at his age he should be getting calcium dusted on his insects 5x a week and multivitamins dusted on insects 2x a week.
Feedings should be 2x a day, each feeding consisting of 10-20 bugs.
Cut the pellets out of the diet, they cause digestive issues and don't offer any nutrition that a dragon needs.
Make sure your offering salad daily, that being collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, and then fruit added to that once or twice a week.

Heres a feeding guide to help out more, along with a simple care sheet https://docs.google.com/document/d/18PfjxbgD95KLcfRCqGAVz-ViuMPuP4AvgGBSZzPKRgc/edit?usp=sharing
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

Also what are you monitoring your temperatures with? Temp gun, stick on temp gauge, digital temp gauge with a probe?
What is the basking spot temp
what is the warm side temp
and what is the cool side temp?

dezismom

Juvie Member
He is definitely a beardie! Love that beardie attitude!?? I see some nice coloring, as well...
Since we do not know the actual birth date, it is hard to tell if he/she? is too small, but I see a healthy beardie. No crooked bones, no dehydration, good skin and holds himself in a nice alert posture. How long is he? If he is 5 months old, he looks just fine. They do most of their growth in the first year, and each one seems to grow at different rates, with periods of really fast growth, so even if he was a bit small now, he has plenty of time in which he could catch up to the norm.

I would try to go for a more varied diet, with a strong emphasis on live protien, for growth. About 75% protien (bugs) and 25% greens, if you can get him to eat them. Some young beardies refuse greens until they are over their fast growth, about one year. Bot I would offer some fresh salad, anyway, just to get him used to it. He may just surprise you and eat some! The protien, calcium supplement powder with vit.D, and a multivitamin powder are very important right now. The reptisun 10, the long tube kind, is a really good UVB light, so his UVB should be fine. He needs a basking temp of around 105* in order to digest all that good protien. I use a digital thermometer with a probe, because the kind that has a dial like a clock and sticks to the cage is not accurate.

Congratulations on having such a beautiful, healthy looking Beardie! What is his name? Does he get lots of snuggles? They are kind of jumpy until around six months,then they settle down and love their snuggles.

Dezi says welcome to the wonderful world of Beardies!
82765-8577291523.jpg

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
He looks pretty good to me.

Just to give you an idea of growth rates: I got my dragon, Gimli, in late January. He was 8.5 inches and 16 grams when I got him. Not sure of the exact birth date, but the store I got him from had him for about a month and said he was hatching size when they got him, so I think he might have been 6-8 weeks old. That would make him 4-5 months old now. A month after I got him he was about 100g and 11 inches. He is 250g and 15 inches long now, but that is bigger than average at that age.

As a PP said, changing his diet might help if you feel like he isn't growing appropriately. I switched Gimli from crickets to dubias shortly after I brought him home and it made a huge difference in his eating habits and growth. He gets dubias twice a day, 20 or so per feed, no bigger than the space between his eyes. The cost a little more than crickets, but are WAY easier to keep and feed. I have fed soldier fly larvae, and it worked well at first, but then he started swallowing them whole, even when i fed one at a time. They weren't getting digested. He gets salad every day with collard or mustard greens, and whatever safe veggies I have on hand. He doesn't really seem to care much for fruit, but does eat his salad most days. I don't do a lot of baths with him. Only when he he is in a shed cycle and seems uncomfortable.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
food just like with humans will help grow faster. i let my beardie eat as much as she wants to and back when she was about 7 months old she would eat 8-12 medium sized roaches in a single sitting and would at times eat like this twice a day. gut loaded and dusted. this in adition to her greens. didnt always eat like this but man when they get into their growth spurts they can eat like a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom