Blankets and Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
I have a question, or two rather.

Some of you may have seen in a couple other posts that I am new to Bearded dragons and new to this board. I have learned a lot in a short amount of time. I really appreciate everyone here, and all the advice I have been given.

My 1st question is about blankets, I see a lot of people saying they have blankets for their dragons. Are these in their terrarium to snuggle with and burry into or is this just for when you are cuddling with your dragon? Is this safe, and if so, what kind of material?

My 2nd question is about water. I have seen machines that have plastic plants in them that attach to the side of the cage so that the dragon can lick the water off the leaves. If this okay if it is maintained? Or what do you use? I have been letting my beardie have water in the bath, by dropping it on the end of his nose, or just when I am holding him I will offer water on the end of his nose, and also of course from his greens which he is not fond of.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I use a cut up fleece blanket. Mine loves to bury his head in his blanket. Some scraps I use to pick him up & wrap him like a burrito. I have a hammock over his cool corner where his blankets are at. So I have a few pieces hanging down, so technically it’s his blanket cave. As for water, he hates baths, so I give him water from a plastic eye dropper.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
my beardie uses full sized bedding blankets but she dosnt often burrow into a blanket, prefers to find a dark corner some place and lay with her body pressed against the wall and sleep. as for water i set my beardie next to the sink and then run warm water and wait for her to crawl down under the facet. she will lay down on the drain and when teh water comes up she will drink and then stand up and let it drain back down. she will spend hours some times lying under the facet...

04p8ZPR.jpg

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had hoped to get some blanket squares or something I could cut for him into little squares but I didn't get a chance this weekend. I love the photo you posted. I have never given mine water that deep. Nice to know yours will standup. Once I put mine in water, and he would lower his head to the water line, and I was nervous he would drown, but maybe he was just drinking the water.

I usually give mine a bath about 3 times a week and I check if he would like some water everyday by dropping some droplets on his snout and seeing if he wants to lick it.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
mine does not always like water but i give her the choice. i fill the bath tub and drape a towel over the side of it. she will climb into teh tub and swim/float around for a while. she will then get tired of it and start swiming/scratching at the sides of the tub. i let her do this untill she makes her way over to the towel and starts to climb up. she will some times sit on the towel and ill turn the lights off as she sleeps semi floating in the water.

she will also dive her self down under water from time to time. she has sat under about 7 inches of water for up to 40 seconds before poping her self back up and floating on the surface again. scared the crap out of me the first time she did it but now she will regularly go fully under water for periods.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Va51B0DfgCvkIjq42

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What a cutie you have there. I usually do about 2 inches of water, maybe 3. Does yours actually swim? or just walk around?

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
she will walk around in shallow and in the sink rub her belly on the bottom of hte sink. in deep water she will float and swim, diving here and there but she needs to be in the right mood for it.

edit: i assume the video works for you, never tried sharing from google before.
and in that pic the reason her eyes are mostly closed is she was asleep in teh dark and my camera flash pre pic woke her up. she had been in the sink there for about an hour and a half

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah, the video worked. I commented on it. She is super cute. I love seeing videos of other Bearded dragons to see how they act and react.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I ran home and gave Murphy a bath, he didn't want to drink any water, and pretty much just wanted to sit and relax in the water. I did talk him into swimming to the side, so I did get to see him do that, but he wasn't really in the mood to swim. It made me wonder if he had ever had the chance to swim before. Perhaps at almost 2 years old, he didn't realize he could.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
yea i started sindragosa off with showers when she was 5 or so months old. she had a small pool with a waterfall in her tank from day one that she woudl some times drink from but she prefered the large flowing water of the bathtub/shower. when i would get ready in teh mornings i would just place her in the tub at the back and let her get used to the water in an enviorment where she could see i was close and if she started to get stressed i would pick her up and out to relax and repeat, building trust so to speak. now days she is a pretty competent swimmer and i dont recall the last time she was stressed around water

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
she also comes to the stores/mall with me and to work as well. she gets out quite a bit. also has the entire house to run around in.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What do you use to have her travel, like a doggy bag to carry her in? My son and I had been thinking about something that might or might not exist. I bag, like a dog carrier bag with a build in heat pad for our Murphy.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
she just sits on my shoulder or she will burrow into my jacket and poke her head out the zipper part keeping her body/tail inside. she will change positions depending on her energy level. when she gets too tired she will put her tail down the front and body on my shoulder and her head into my neck vertically and go to sleep while i walk around. i dont use a carrier for her at all, havent since she was about 9 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom