Blankets and Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
my beardie learned that she could climb the walls of her tank and shimmy around the front untill she was on the side and make her way on top of her tank. i would often come home to find her sitting WAY up high with out any obvious ways to get there. i later found out she would JUMP from a lower level and grab onto the top of the tanks lip, hanging from just her front claws she would then pull her self up on top. she has often done the same thing to climb the DVD case i have here that stands about 8 feet tall and has cascading depth of shelving from deep on the bottom to shallow up top. the case has no connection aside from smooth vertical beams on either side so she will jump from one level to another as she climbs...

at work she has jumped across two of our work tables, one high and one low with about 4 feet between them, she sits on the edge of the tall one and jumps through the air to land on the side of the smaller one and then climbs up the side to the top. from there she has jumped down (about a 3 foot drop) to the concrete floor many times and never given it a second thought.

she weighs about 1 1/3lbs, she looks far more like a wild beardie than a domesticated one, i think thats one large reason why she climbs and jumps so well is she is thin and athletic, im sure all her climbing and sleeping vertically has given her lots of leg muscle as well. she cant jump and climb the same way she did at 4 months old but pretty dam close

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Things are really going well here. Murphy has gotten used to us now, and not only enjoys laying on us, but snuggles in too. He still LOVES sitting at his window in the living room looking outside, and his lights are perfect now in his tank. I even got a timer that turns it on and off, and a CHE since it's a bit cold here on the coast that comes on at night. He sleeps in his hammock every night and we cover him with his small blanket that I cut from a scarf. He seems to really like the cactus/desert background that I put up on the back of his terrarium.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
good to hear he is getting so well acclimated to his environment. my sindragosa is to the point she will sleep anywhere in the house, even in the middle of the floor some times...

we took a trip to the beach and biking over last weekend where she got to run around in a field, climb trees, jump around on a rocky beach by lake superior.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
two and a half hour drive and she passed out up here, slept the WHOLE WAY in a bumpy pickup truck:
H7h2z8W.jpg

she got to chill in the back window for 3 straight days in the sun
0Bq8WTR.jpg

she got to visit a 9 story tall tower
NJuHPbj.jpg

she would run from one end of the house to the other to sit in what ever window has the sun
6Py9t6u.jpg

at the rocky beach
QObQsMU.jpg

the window wasnt good enoug, she tore through the screen and went onto the roof
lbvTEgK.jpg

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Great photos. I looked at them several times. I can't believe that I didn't comment back. I'm so sorry. I have since gotten another Beardie. This is it though, no more than two. I have a girl now named Stella, she is a very active one. She is very fast. I was surprised at how quickly she moved. Murphy is HUGE and does not move like that. He moves, but not like that. I think Stella is probably a bit wild. I haven't had her even a week yet, so I'm still learning her, and she learning me.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
thats ok, she had a great time up on teh shore tho. she has been getting more adventurous when out and about, she will walk between my shoulders while im walking around and at times crawl around vertically on my shirt. at home she has been climbing and hanging more often than usual as well. seems to be in a climbing mood as of late

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My new beardie is a climber too. her set up is different from Murphy's. She has a bit of a jungle gym in her terrarium.

Here is Stella's Terrarium:
98313-577618061.jpg

She posed for a cute picture today too.
98313-2941716300.jpg

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i dont know what sindragosa would do if i put her into a tank at this point. as it is she likes to climb up the back of the large couch i have in the living room adn then jump from the side of it to the love seat that is about 3 and a half feet away. she will jump from the top point to the cushions of the love seat when being lazy or take a running leap from the top to the top of each sofa. then she will do a rear leg drag/slide down the back of that love seat to a table where she leaps about another 3 and a half feet to the floor before running over to a section of window screen i hung from the ceiling. she will climb up that about 7 feet or so and sit up there for hours at a time.

i some times close off the front of her tank when i want her to get more uvb but its built in such a way that she can climb the inside walls and then work her way around the sheer face of the face/sides and climb her way onto the top of the tank, ill have to see if i have any pictures of when she was younger getting out of her tank.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Ha, I love how beardies really have their own personalities. My former beardie, Gaia, was amazingly well-behaved. She NEVER did as much as turned her beard black towards me, let alone snapped at me. She would sit on my shoulder or crawl around my shirt when we were out and about during the summer. I would sometimes pour out a dozen crickets with her in the backyard and she would hunt around the yard to catch them. She NEVER had to wear a harness or anything, but would just chill there -- she had been to pretty much every store you can think of (even some bars during college), people loved her. There are probably hundreds of photos on her on facebook from strangers.

Now, Sydney, the rapidly growing 7 month old male beardie I have right now is a WILD child. He blackbeards - it's slowly becoming less often as we get used to each other, though (I've only had him 2-3 weeks now, Gaia for 11 years). In order to take him outside he NEEDS to wear a harness, and has so much energy that I will walk him like a dog sometimes (he won't just sit on my shoulder). He fearlessly jumps off everything, and yesterday he bit my finger twice (breaking skin both times) - although, it was my fault. His mouth was open on a walk, he was a bit stressed at all of the commotion and I held my finger literally right in front of his mouth :lol: . I think he is going to be a big, very beautiful, boy though. Right now he is 7-8 months old and is about 15 inches, 161 grams. He was 130 grams a few days after I got him, so he has already put on over 30 grams (I didn't measure his previous length, unfortunately)

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm so glad I have been able to have the chance to discover beardies in my lifetime. I can't believe I could have missed out.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
they are such great pets, they do learn and they do know whats going on around them but they are so much more chill than dogs and easier to take care of. today i was packing my laptop up at work and as soon as i started putting it in my bag sindragosa poped up and was wide awake, she knew it was time to go...

she hangs out with me going to stores, malls, at work, so many people comment on how well behaved she is and even more express how kool it is to have a pet that you can just take around. even with all that however i think if i were to be away for a couple of weeks that sindragosa would be more than happy to take care of her self and chill alone.

there are weeks i will leave her to her own devices as i dont want to overwhelm her with outside time, beardies need alone time too. and she will make her way around the house, to her bath tub, outside in the sun, and forage for her food in her bowls all around. total autonomy here at home, its only when i interfere with her goings on that she becomes more passive and docile.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How is sindragosa doing? I now have 3 beardies. Nobody told me that this was addicting. I am not getting anymore though. This last one was not planned. She was a rescue. The second one was planned, and I needed one more.

I now have Murphy:
98313-2828007671.jpg

Stella Luna:
98313-2941716300.jpg

and my Newest, Karen Rose:
98313-2712340872.jpg

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
sindragosa is doing well. getting colder so she dosent go out quite as much but when she does she will sit in my jacket or sweatshirt with just her head poking out to look around.

she has taken to going underwater more for what ever reason. i will fill teh sink or tub and she will climb to the edge and stretch her tail/legs out and plop her head fully under water. at first i can see her drinking with her whole head/neck under water, she will lift her head just above the water, take a breath, and them plop back under...

think its the cold weather but she is eating a bit less than usual, she usedto eat 6-10 horned worms when i would buy them mondays but now she only eats 2 or 3

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Murphy will sometimes do that, but then he comes up and is done. He drinks more than my other two. Karen will sometimes drink if it's dropped on her nose, but Stella never.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
my beardie spent most of the day on thanks giving jumping at the window trying to get outside. after 4 hours of this i opened the door and she went running out into the sun and 15F temps. she made a B-line for her outdoor enclosure and climbed the outside of it to the top. she stayed out there for about 25 minutes before jumping down and coming back inside. i didnt expect her to stay out there even 1 minute but... idk, there are days i think she forgets she is cold blooded.

she has taken to only eating super worms of late, ive been making her salads so she 'accidentally' eats greens and pellets. after coming in she ate around 45 worms in one sitting, she has been going through about 300 worms a week plus her odds and ends greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom